We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia

Los Angeles...
Expedia

Why would anyone book through Expedia? ANY problem, especially during a holiday period that requires an intervention and/or contact with Expedia may be one of the more frustrating experiences of your travel life. If Expedia is kind enough to show you what choices there are, BOOK DIRECTLY with the carrier/hotel/rental agency involved either online or by phone. Save yourself a world of grief should you need to change or cancel.

Exasperated retired Doc.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 77
1. Re: Expedia

>> Why would anyone book through Expedia?

Not sure. Why did you?

Chester, United...
reviews: 53
2. Re: Expedia

Well they are the world’s largest online travel company so they must be doing something right

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
3. Re: Expedia

I agree with you Bert. All third party booking sites are middlemen with no authority to make decisions for the airline or hotel so "shop" and then book directly. Although I will use Expedia for a very straightforward flight.

Los Angeles...
4. Re: Expedia

I booked through Expedia because of convenience (one stop shopping) and a combination of laziness, habit, and stupidity. Everything is wonderful, just like in a marriage, until something goes wrong, and then it hits the fan without benefit of rabbi, minister, priest, or trusted friend. Waiting on a phone line for three hours without a response, attempting to cancel your holiday flight due to your wife's broken arm and subsequent surgical plate insertion is definitely NOT my idea of acceptable customer service or fun.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 77
5. Re: Expedia

Should call your travel insurance provider instead of Expedia...

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 12
6. Re: Expedia

Expedia is good if you're set on dates and schedules. If you're not flexible or don't anticipate that you will be, then it might be better to book with the direct source. I've booked flights and hotels with no problems - even when I had to cancel rooms, they allowed you to do it online.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
7. Re: Expedia

There is a similar post about Orbitz. The moral of the story is beware of booking with ( fill in the name of any third party booking agency ) for the exact reasons Bert listed.

Bert you seem to be an extraordinary person in that you readily admit that you used Expedia because of habit and convenience. I think you are being too hard on yourself when you use the term stupidity. Compare Bert's attitude to the rant of the recent Beware of Orbitz post in which the original poster seems to have learned nothing.

I actually use Kayak to compare airfares and usually hotels.com to compare hotel rates. But, if I am not happy with the prices I see I will shop around on other sites. The one thing that motivates me from being lazy is the possibility of saving a few bucks.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 125
8. Re: Expedia

I agree that you should be cautious when booking through a third party website. I've booked a couple of times through Expedia and didn't have an issue. Usually i look on those sites to get a range of prices then book directly through the hotel/airline/car rental company site.

I have to say that I am skeptical about the intentional post. The person only posted two things and both are in this post. Also, Bert joined and posted right after joining. This may be a real complaint or a competitor. I don't know; just seems suspecious.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
9. Re: Expedia

CUTiger81: I'm equally suspicious of a lot of posts. The "one and done" ones, in particular. The Bargain Travel forum has become the Complaint forum and there are so few posts on bargains or finding bargains. I think what happens sometimes is that someone goes onto google and finds this forum, they sign up and post (because there are little to no guidelines), then they either forget they posted OR just figure they've "warned" everyone, and never come back. I agree with both you and przyk on booking approach and this is my preferred method, too.

10. Re: Expedia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, January 02, 2013