We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American travel sites versus English travel sites

ny
reviews: 2
American travel sites versus English travel sites

Just wondering; are less expensive travel deals offered on e

English websites, in general?

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 106
1. Re: American travel sites versus English travel sites

I really think you'd have to check each specific site. There are so many sites, with so many variables. Also, be aware that even if a foreign site says it's charging you in U.S. dollars, you may still have a foreign currency fee added to your credit card.

ktown

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 62
2. Re: American travel sites versus English travel sites

I agree with ktown. It' probably highly dependent on where you are traveling to and from. If you've been reading this forum you are probably aware that you need to be cautious of unscrupulous travel companies. You are better off sticking with known names. If you find a deal that's too good to be true from an unknown company it's quite likely a scam.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 176
3. Re: American travel sites versus English travel sites

We have also often found that the more local, or at least close to the location your are intending to travel, travel agent or tour provider you can find, the better value for money travel you can arrange. We feel this is partly due to cutting extra links in the sully chain out of the equation so just one less person or business profiting from your travel arrangements. This is not 100% but we do seem to find this a lot.

Then in the end we usually just book most everything independently. Here in India at the moment, everything we have arranged has been direct with local hotels, etc. Some we have even made contact with through trip advisor, sort of a free de-facto travel agent, in a sense. So far, so good. No surprises.

ny
4. Re: American travel sites versus English travel sites

I remember finding this to be the case when I booked a houseboat on Dal Lake in Kashmir from US many years ago . It would have been much cheaper if I had booked once I was in India.

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
5. Re: American travel sites versus English travel sites

The only time I've found a bargain from the UK sites was for last minute package holidays, i.e. after finding a transatlantic cheap flight to London & spending a few days there, then booking online or through a local travel agent 1 week (all incl. or half-board) to places such as Spain, Greece, Bulgaria, etc.

===

Really cheap packages - fly to Poland or Czech Republic, then after a few days fly on a package deal with Poles or Czechs to Croatia, Djerba (Tunisia), etc. A bit more complicated, but could be done...very, very, cheaply. I did this several times in the last 5 years...But you have to be very flexible & be prepared to be in hotels with people from the country you booked from... Knowing languages & being very open-minded also helps...

===

Not quite the same, but similar: Places such as Fiji, Vietnam, etc. - cheaper to book through Australian Package Holidays... Again, you need to get to Sydney or Brisbane - in all cases, it is always 2 centres vacation, 1=e.g. Sydney, the other 1 = Fiji, Vietnam, etc. Compare to other sites + matrix software for flights, Skyping the hotels directly (negotiating the price... a lot of work - but worth every penny...if you have time & know where to look!!

ny
6. Re: American travel sites versus English travel sites

Thanks. Very interesting.

7. Re: American travel sites versus English travel sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 10, 2014