We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used FareLab?

San Antonio, Texas
Has anyone used FareLab?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the midst of searching for the best fares to Milan, Rome and London for an upcoming trip to Italy and came across FareLab, a site I hadn't heard of before tonight. Has anyone used it? There's virtually no information about it online, neither in forums or general google searches, so I'm leery about using it. The fares seem way too good to be true, and so I can't help but wonder whether they are.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
1. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

I've never heard of Farelab. If you read thru this forum you will find endless posts from people who have been stung using unknown internet travel companies.

I looked at Farelab's website and it is very basic, way too basic. There really isn't even any information about who they are, where they are based or really anything at all that I could see.

There is no way some tiny start up like this can find you a better airfare than you can find elsewhere. If airlines want to sell tickets they would give these unbelievably low rates to Hotwire, Priceline or some larger company that could have a better chance of selling the seats for them.

Use a site like kayak or cheaptickets to compare rates. Most often on flights to and from the US you will find purchasing directly from the airline will give you as low a rate as you will find anywhere.

The way to get the best rate is to shop around (legitimate sites), be flexible on dates and try alternative airports.

San Antonio, Texas
2. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

Thank you for your quick response! I dug around a bit deeper, and like you, thought the same things about the very basic site. The fares to Rome are definitely too good to be true. Back to kayak and other sites!

New York City, New...
3. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

FareLab is based in New york. The site has been verified and secured by GoDaddy.com.

No one knew about the big travel websites when they started either.

The best way to to find out is by trying it.

Why miss a good deal?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
4. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

So Simon, I think we all figure you own/work for FareLab and search from time to time for comments about them( or have an alert set up) so you can refute them.. I'm not impressed with your testimonial- and no one else should be either.

San Antonio, Texas
5. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

Nor am I impressed. Yes, there was a time when priceline, travelocity, orbitz and hotwire, among others, were brand new. And they took out magazine, newspaper, online and TV ads to promote their businesses. There's absolutely no press whatsoever about FareLab, nor is there a single online review anywhere. I checked Nexis, too, for any sort of coverage. Nothing. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll "miss a good deal" and save myself misfortune and frustration.

California City...
reviews: 13
6. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

CAREFUL WITH FARELAB!!

I recently tried to purchase a flight through another website. I requested the right dates (I verified them myself!).

When ticketing, FARELAB WILL NOT SHOW THE DATES!

Then, the ticket was issued for different dates that I had requested. I tried to cancel and the employee wanted to charge me a $75 fee.

Be careful!! They are scammers!!

Btw, they don't have a phone # on their website!

Edited: 2:20 pm, January 15, 2013
Salt Lake City
7. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

I used Farelab to purchase some tickets to Hawaii for someone other than myself. I got a call from them to make sure all the information was correct and to verify that I indeed was purchasing for someone other than myself. I thought they were a little hokey in their business dealings but everything looks good to go. I have emails confirmed for flights and confirmation numbers for the airlines. It worked for me.. now I am looking for flights for myself and I am checking with farelab to see if they can get a great deal as before.

NYC
8. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

I purchased some tickets from Farelab. I can understand why they had to call you for confirmation, since you are not a traveler. I was a small business owner myself a few years back and even one case of credit card fraud could have put me out of business. These tickets can cost a business their livelihood. I purchased some tickets to Europe, and it had no problems. Traveled and came back without any problems. I saved $55 per person, purchased 5 tickets for me and my family.

To be honest, Mili, I do not know how a mistake could like that could have happened. Maybe it was your fault for not checking the dates? I am in the IT field, and since all this is automated, dates normally do not change. My tickets and dates were correct. If you had some proof, maybe you could have gotten it cancelled for free. Most other sites have cancellation fees as well. So they aren't the only ones.

Their pricing seems to be competitive, so I will use them again for my next travel, if their prices are good.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
9. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

Looks like Simon, the owner of Farelabs joined to give his first testimonial in December then signed up as Sjohnstun and Del W to give further testimonials.

Sjohn claims Farelab called him. Apparently they have phones that only make outgoing calls since you can't call them.

And Del used this fly by night outfit to save $ 55 on tickets from the US to Europe. I'd book directly with the airline and pay $55 more for the peace of mind., if in fact there really is any savings, which I doubt.

NYC
10. Re: Has anyone used FareLab?

przyk and how are you contributing to the conversation? You are just trolling. I never asked you to believed what I said. I just gave my experience that I had with Farelab. If you actually bothered checking, you can find a phone number. I saved $55 per person, so that totals over $250. To some of us that's a lot of money. Some of us aren't making enough money to not care about other form of savings. Plus I paid by credit card. I can always do a charge back if they were scammers. Why don't you go and do sample searches first before making any sort of judgement. If everyone can get the cheapest fares from the airlines then why do we have or need all these other sites? We can all just go to the airline's website to book, obviously there are price differences.

And BTW, I am not Simon or Sjohnstun.

Get answers to your questions