We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

Thousand Oaks, CA
reviews: 11
Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

Hi Fellow Travelers,

Me and my four best friends from college are trying to find a way to celebrate our 50th birthdays together in 2013. The trouble is that we all live in different places: Los Angeles, Oakland, CA, Florida, Boston, and Rhode Island. I am trying to come up with a place we can all fly to for a weekend in January or February. We have thought about Sedona or Vegas, but I was just wondering if any of you had any better ideas? I would like to be somewhere that wasn't just a hotel, maybe in a city with things to do (shops, theatre etc). And yes, we are all pretty strapped for cash. I was hoping we could use airline miles then share two hotel rooms. Package deals would be great too, but I don't think any of us could afford more than $500 not including airfare.

Any ideas?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 24
1. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

How about New Orleans?.................not only is it an amazing city, it has everything you want and is a perfect getaway destination..............somewhere everyone has fairly good access to also....

just note that at some point in February, it will be Mardi Gras.....rooms will be expensive then, and probably very hard to find....otherwise, I think it's perfect for your getaway.......

Thousand Oaks, CA
2. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

Thankyou Eden7. I will look into flights/hotels to New Orleans... I have never been there. We may be going Presidents weekend Feb 15-18. I don't want anything to do with Mardi Gras so I will need to check the calendar. Good idea though. I was also wondering about Austin Texas....any experience there? Is that a good walking city?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
3. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

Hi ocean..............although I have visited Texas a few times, Austin is not one of the places ..................I've heard it's nice though..............if you click on the blue link within this post, you will be taken to a travel page for Austin Texas where you'll find out lots of info :)

Edited: 9:52 am, December 04, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
4. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

Thanks Eden7.....will look into it.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
5. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

You're welcome.....

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 13
6. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

If your budget is tight, I would avoid Presidents day weekend. Hotel prices will likely be higher.

Believe it or not, NYC is quite inexpensive that time of year.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 25
7. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

Hotel rates in Las Vegas usually remain low until convention season and super bowl in January. I have been hearing stories of amazin low rates at *5 star hotels!

I say all of you take the jump at the Stratosphere Tower... and value your friendships when you guys are screaming like little girls.

Have fun!

Edited: 8:19 am, December 07, 2012
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
reviews: 163
8. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

Meet central. Chicago. It’s cold. But with plenty of drinks and great company it will not matter. Or try an AI in Nassau. Review Breezes web site for specifics. Happy travels!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
9. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

I think Las Vegas tends to be a budget destination most of the year, and is likely to be accessed as a non-stop flight from all your origins. But, the question is what airline you all have "miles" on, since most hubs might make sense in this case. For example, if Delta, then Minneapolis or Atlanta; if United, then Chicago or Houston, you get my drift..

10. Re: Ideas for a Girlfriends 50th Getaway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 17, 2013