We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire Low Price Guarantee denied for no "Proof"

Holland, Michigan
Hotwire Low Price Guarantee denied for no "Proof"

So, I foolishly booked a flight through Hotwire on the Sunday before Cyber Monday. Monday prices on all bargain sites dropped over $100 so I emailed Hotmail asking if there was anything that could be done. Instead of verifying the price immediately, they emailed me and suggested I request a low price guarantee claim. By the time I got the email, there was no way to prove the Cyber Monday pricing.

I have been trying to get them to honor the price for 5 days now by admitting that they should have verified the price the first day I contacted them and acknowledging the the entire industry had lower prices on Monday. They claim there is nothing that can be done and that I cannot talk to anyone who has the authority to honestly evaluate this situation and make any decisions. The only people who will talk on the phone or answer emails are those who "cannot do anything" and they claim they cannot transfer me to anyone with more authority.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we might be able to reach someone with authority at Hotwire or somehow "prove" what prices were posted Cyber Monday?

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
1. Re: Hotwire Low Price Guarantee denied for no "Proof"

Does Hotwire have some kind of 'Guarantee' or something? Rarely does a website or an airline refund money because the fare went down. I do see this when booking a flight on Hotwire....

Know before you go

Airlines may charge an additional fee for checked baggage.

Ticket sales are final-but you may be able to make a change

for a fee.

See complete fare rules for all the fare details you need

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Hotwire Low Price Guarantee denied for no "Proof"

The procedure for filing a Price Guarantee claim is on their website. The timeline mentioned in the terms and conditions for responses to the price guarantee is 5-7 business days. If the lower fare is no longer available when they check, you're out of luck as far as I can tell.

Edited: 4:39 am, December 01, 2012
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: Hotwire Low Price Guarantee denied for no "Proof"

Next time you could take a screen shot of the page where you see the lower price and then send that . Of course they need some sort of proof or else everyone would be "claiming" they found lower prices!

In most cases when you buy an airline ticket you cannot get money back if the price gets lower so I'd just chalk this up to a learning experience.

Holland, Michigan
4. Re: Hotwire Low Price Guarantee denied for no "Proof"

1. Hawkeye... Yes, Hotwire has a published "Low Price Guarantee". if you find a lower fare within 48 hours of booking they will refund the difference.

2. Lexexpress.... Yup, they seem to be totally in control & because they decided not to verify the price on the day I requested it they are refusing. This is why I am struggling, anyone in the industry would know that priced dropped on that Monday. They know it, their fares were even lower (but they don't match their own prices). Seems a bit convenient to me. I'm not ready to accept "out of luck" yet. I have an email into Delta & will be calling them Monday. $100 is worth a bit more squeaking... I was just looking for other suggestions.

3. Riff... Yes, if I had only known. And most cases yes, but Hotwire claims to offer a price guarantee so as I said, not ready to chalk this one up yet. Sad thing is, it's a really stupid "proof" they are requesting. A screen shot? Really? If I wanted to be dishonest I could whip out a fake screen shot with the prices I saw in about 15 minutes on illustrator. They are choosing to ignore the facts and not admit the fact that they are partially to blame in this and compromise to satisfy a customer... also they claim there is no one with any authority to reconsider the case able to pick up the phone and actually discuss it. That's really bad customer service in my book.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Hotwire Low Price Guarantee denied for no "Proof"

Good luck but I don't see what an email from Delta would help. The bottom line is that there's a certain procedure for claiming under the Price Guarantee and certain conditions that has to be met, which your claim failed to meet. There's been no screw-up's that I can see so no grounds for complaint. You filed a claim, the claim didn't meet the conditions, end of story.

6. Re: Hotwire Low Price Guarantee denied for no "Proof"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, December 17, 2013