We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip Sept 2013

reviews: 5
Planning a trip Sept 2013

My husband and I are looking to plan a trip to Italy, I have no idea where to start, I would like to see Venice and Rome but we only have 8 days, and I don't want to feel so rushed that we miss the beauty of Italy, any suggestions to an itinerary and should we pay for tours or could we do it on our own without getting completely lost?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
1. Re: Planning a trip Sept 2013

Hi caribbeanqueen,

Welcome to the forums!

I think you will get more specific answers if you post your question in the Italy forum or in the Venice and Rome forums.

I have been to Italy several times on my own and the trips were really easy to plan! There is enough in each city and its surrounding area for you to spend a week in each place! There is also a lot in between the 2 cities!

Rome is larger and probably has more low cost options for hotels but I adore Venice so you'll have to decide on your own if you must see both places or if one calls to you more at this point.

When you post questions in the Italy forums try to be specific about your budget and what you'd like to see and folks will help you.

You can fly into one city and out of the other and get between the 2 by train.

To see those sorts of flights just click on multi city on any airline site.

reviews: 5
2. Re: Planning a trip Sept 2013

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

Midwest
reviews: 120
3. Re: Planning a trip Sept 2013

Above notes notwithstanding... If Italy, you may find Venice and Rome too far apart for convenience. Maybe Florence/Orvieto/Rome? A side trip to Bolsena would be a nice off the beaten path option as well (near Orvieto).

Miami, Florida
reviews: 30
4. Re: Planning a trip Sept 2013

I would definitely do Rome and Venice, my 2 favorite cities in Italy. if you only have 7 nights not counting flight time, i would do 4 nights in Rome and 3 nights Venice. And fly into Rome and Out of Venice for sure to save time. Train is convenient, takes about 3:45 to get there, i recommend you buy train tickets the day before or earlier because i found myself once there the day of the trip and all tickets were sold out until the later hours.

I would absolutely go for it!

freetravelguys.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 24
5. Re: Planning a trip Sept 2013

With your 8 days if you really want to see the 3 cities, I think you can do it.....2 days Venice, 2 days Florence, approx 1 day for travel (ie a couple of 1/2 days) 3 days Rome...............just a taste really, but each city is different from each and should be seen......................all of Italy is worth exploring..........you'll have to come back another time..........as others have said, fly into one (like Venice and fly home from Rome)............

Edited: 6:17 pm, December 04, 2012
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 3,004
6. Re: Planning a trip Sept 2013

I'm within the camp that it is better to spend 7-8 day trips in Italy at two locations. Rome can easily eat up 7-8 days on its own but its fair to split the time and invest 2/3 days in either Florence or Venice. Due to logistics, I'd first suggest Florence as has been mentioned above. However, you can definitely combine Rome/Venice if this is what you prefer. Frequent and affordable train service in Italy allows for this and you can always consider the short flights between the two cities, although much conventional wisdom on the TA italy forums will suggest that this doesn't really safe you time.

Here are a few trip lists we put together for Italy that might help you start your activity planning. Have a look if useful.

Rome Classic Attractions (Our Favorites)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i29082-Rome_Top…

Rome Church Attractions (Our Favorites)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i29580-Rome_Top…

Florence (Our Top Ten Attractions)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i28558-Florence…

Venice (Our Top Ten Attractions)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i28513-Venice_T…

Have a lovely trip to Italy next year.

7. Re: Planning a trip Sept 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions