We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

Columbia, TN
reviews: 87
Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

Hi there! I've been visiting the Budget Travel website for a few weeks now trying to subscribe, but it says something is down on their subscription page. However, other sides (magazine-agent.com for example) have the option to purchase one. First of all, does anyone know if there is something wrong with Budget Travel? And second, if not, do you know where I can order this magazine from an outside agent and feel good about it? Thanks!

54 replies to this topic
Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
1. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

Have you contacted the magazine itself to inquire? That's what I would do.

ktown

New York City
reviews: 4
2. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

Hi there. I work at Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine. We are currently in a dispute with the company that manages our subscription file, which is why we cannot process any new subscriptions at this time. We hope to have the issue resolved as soon as possible so we can start delivering the magazine again! For the time being, the only way to get the content is on our website, www.budgettravel.com (where you can read a version of the November issue as an enhanced pdf). You can also buy a digital subscription if you have an iPad, Nook, Kindle Fire or Android device. Click here to see those options:

www.budgettravel.com/subscription-options/

For the time being I would NOT order a subscription from a third-party seller.

3. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, January 04, 2013

Lawrence, Kansas
4. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

Do not waste your money on this magazine. We took a subscription for three years and have not heard back from any one at the magazine. It is a scam. They do not honor their readers. Why did I have to pay when others can read on-line for free.

Lawrence, Kansas
5. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

No one responds from the magazine. Waste of time and money

Edited: 9:23 am, February 02, 2013
Jacksonville...
reviews: 200
6. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

I had a BT magazine subscription for 3 years. I cancelled it when I found out 90% of the stuff I was interested in was free content on the website.

Flint, mi
reviews: 785
7. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

I subscribed to Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine from it's first year up until about two years ago. In the first few years, there were some good articles, but as the years went on... they lost their focus and most of the content wasn't affordable at all. Yes, there were deals a lot less than Conde Nast, but BUDGET really means low cost, especially in the economy that we've had since 2008 till now.

I would not go back and subscribe to this magazine.

Tripadvisor users can sometimes direct you to a really good deal, though it is always prudent to "do your homework" and make sure that suggestions are legitimate.

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
8. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

I have really enjoyed my BudgetTravel subscription, moreso than with any other magazine I subscribe to. I have even been a little guilty of hoarding and recently had to do a purge. They may not be 100% about BUDGET travel, but I enjoy the articles and regular features.

It recently came to my attention, when I went to look up how much longer I'd have on my current subscription, that there was the problem mentioned in reply 2. Makes me sad. I (now) know I could get it online but I sometimes enjoy having a paper magazine to hold in my hands and take on airplanes, car trips, etc. unplugged.

Hope the magazine survives the problems it's currently going through and comes back!

In the meantime, any recommended alternatives?

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
9. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

I have a subscription to National Geographic Traveler and quite enjoy it.

I wouldn't subscribe to Budget Travel solely because I find the magazine to be dishonest - it simply isn't about budget travel, unless you are wealthy and wish to slum it with the middle class and call it budget travel. Perhaps that describes the author/publisher, I don't know, but it certainly doesn't describe me or most other budget travelers I know.

ktown

Boston...
10. Re: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?

I actually liked Budget Travel...have been reading it for years (getting it for free or for $2/$3 per year via different sellers). When I contacted CS over the years - they always responded to my emails. Absolutely no problems. Just my experience though.

The last issue was the Sept/Oct 12 Issue and there has been a statement on their site that you can read the Nov/Dec 12 Issue online. Have also read via various online articles that may or may not be back.

skift.com/2012/…

I also get National Geo Traveler but I don't like it nearly as much as Budget Travel.

Edited: 7:21 pm, February 18, 2013
Reply to: Budget Travel Magazine Subscribers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted