We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

Melbourne...
Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I are thinking of doing a big Europe trip next year for 3 months, arounds the months of August, September, October. I really have no idea how much money we would need, how much would we need minimum for 3 months? We're from Australia so we're talking $AUD dollars. We would want to do it cheap cheap so most likely backpacking. Also has anyone used Busabout before?

Thanks and looking forward to any advice people can give!

Melissa

16 replies to this topic
Melbourne...
1. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

Also just to add on and also to compare how much more it would cost roughly, if we were to stay in low cost, budget but reasonably comfortable hotels rather than backpacker hostels, how much money would it be suggested then for 3 months?

Thanks again,

Melissa

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
2. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

Europe is a big place. Some cities are very expensive, some are cheaper.

My suggestion would be to have a look online yourself. It really shouldn't take you too long to get an idea of the average cost of accommodation. Look on hostelbookers and booking.com to get an idea of those costs for the cities you are thinking of going to.

Cities have free things to do, some have free museum days....a lot would depend on your interests.

When I travel in Europe I usually eat some sort of breakfast that I purchased the day before in my room, then I make a peanut butter sandwich and put it in my pack for lunch. That leaves only dinner to buy - sometimes we eat in a restaurant, sometimes we buy at a local market and make it ourselves if we have self catering facilities.

I think you need to decide what type of traveler you are. Some people would rather stay home than travel the way I do. Others think I spend way too much and travel more economically.

ktown

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
reviews: 20
3. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

How much to budget is very hard as ktowntravllr says. Do the research.

As for how much cash to take my advice tends to be: nil. Put the money in a bank and get a card that doesn't charge you a hefty fee for overseas use.

This also reduces the risk of sitting there with loads of different currencies at the end of the trip (there are still a great many different currencies even though many use the Euro - UK, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland and most of the Eastern European countries still have their own national currency).

When it comes to railtravel do not book anything with eurail, raileurope or any such company. Book directly with the operators for the best prices. As over at the Train-forum for more information on railtravel in Europe.

Never done Busabout, but getting around Europe cheaply can easily be done - but needs much research. There are plenty of buses, trains (discount tickets tend to be released 2-3 months in advance where there are savings to be made) and flights (many LCC's in Europe, can often be more expensive to get to/from the airport than the flights themselves).

Melbourne...
4. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

Thanks for your advice! And yes of course I am going to do research. Thanks again

Melbourne...
5. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

Hi thanks for your advice. I'm thinking 100 euros a day per person to cover accommodation, food, attractions and daily transportation... But that's just a starting figure I have to do more in depth research. And add on other costs for euro rail passes, etc. thanks again for your advice.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
reviews: 20
6. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

As i stated do not bother with Euro Rail Passes from Eurail, Raileurope or any other such site.

Book point-to-point instead, discount tickets are ususally released 2-3 months in advance. Much, much cheaper.

Charleston
reviews: 23
7. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

My husband & I average about 100 euros per day... but we don't spend time checking into budget hotels or travel options. If you are frugal, I bet you could travel fairly comfortably with less money. Due to physical issues we stay in pretty good hotels, and travel as cheaply as we can. Most of our money is spent on food; and we could certainly shop more, make more sandwiches & save more money!

Good luck & have fun, keep us posted!

Melbourne...
8. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

Hi thanks for your advice! Yes 100 euros sounds like a good figure, I'm thinking for per person for accommodation that night, food, attractions, getting around that day. We're in our 20s so that's why we were hostels. We will have to eat cheap, sandwiches etc, but of course we will probably treat ourselves to eating out at a nice place when we're in one of the bigger cities every once in a while.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
9. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

Just to add some info that hostels are not just for backpackers.

There are many travelers of all ages that use them!

Some even have private rooms so really look around.

They are usually great places to meet other folks who are traveling.

Melbourne...
10. Re: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?

Hi there yes we will probably try to get a private room whenever we can and yes will definitely be a great way to meet other travelers!

Reply to: Travelling around Europe for 3mths How much money to take?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions