We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware AirBnB in a foreign country

New York City, New...
reviews: 4
Beware AirBnB in a foreign country

I learned through experience— It's one thing to use AirBnB to book a weekend away, and it's another to show up in a foreign country jetlagged and have nowhere else to go at 6am in the morning.

I warn people using AirBnB to ask lots of questions before they book in a foreign country. Don't believe the reviews on the AirBnB site. I had a bad experience with a well reviewed host. And now I can't leave a review about it due to a massive flaw in AirBnB's review system.

In June '12, I used AirBnB to book an apartment for two weeks in Brussels with a host named Maximillian. When we arrived exhausted at 6am, he said our original apartment had water damage and took us to an apartment in another neighborhood with almost none of the amenities that he listed. And almost no furniture. That's right, no place to put anything. No glasses to drink water from! Not even curtains on the windows. I could go on and on.

To make matters worse, AirBnb will not allow me to leave a review to warn others because I cancelled my reservation with Max and left after 4 days. Even though I still had to pay for those days. It's a flaw with the AirBnB and one that everyone should be aware of.

1. Re: Beware AirBnB in a foreign country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:31 pm, November 22, 2012
Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
2. Re: Beware AirBnB in a foreign country

I agree that this is a flaw in the AirBnb system, and one that I would like to see them rectify.

ktown

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,925
3. Re: Beware AirBnB in a foreign country

I've hopes for the AirBnb service. They have a lot of local listings in HK and some visitors are having good experiences with the renters. Hopefully in time they will tighten their processes and improve the feedback providing side of their business model. Will be interesting to see how this materializes in upcoming years.

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 158
4. Re: Beware AirBnB in a foreign country

My experience 2/3 excellent, 1 just OK. Actually the 2 were in foreign countries, the one just OK in Atlanta. My advice: if the hosts are in touch with you all the time & patiently explaining things, they are likely to be good hosts. If not, you are taking a chance.

The problem with reviews is that if you give not so good review, the host can then give not so good review about you as a guest as well. That is the major flaw, IMO. Most people do not want to be marked as "bad guests" - so they give better reviews on hosts than really true. Still, my reviews were very truthful, even the OK review for Atlanta ...I am just looking at AirBnB in Edinburgh for April & will search & research, send Emails, etc......

5. Re: Beware AirBnB in a foreign country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 13, 2013