We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance

London
reviews: 30
'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance

Has anyone used this policy before. Seems very cheap at £317.82 for 2 for the year including America/Carribean.

Help - cant find any reviews.

thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Bromley, United...
reviews: 10
1. Re: 'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance

My son is currently covered by this insurance and I have just extended it to 18 months as he is staying in Asia as long as he can

They do seem very reputable and competitively priced. Luckily enough he has not needed to claim so cannot comment on that side.

I think it was recommended by someone on Trip Advisor that is why we went with it

2. Re: 'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:18 pm, January 09, 2013

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
reviews: 13
3. Re: 'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance

I have used Nomads...it is $600 AUD a year, but covers Motorbike accidents, which is what I wanted. Renewable and extendable online. I havn,t had to make a claim luckily, so cannot comment on that side of it.

Golden, Canada
4. Re: 'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance

I am currently using HolidaySafe's travel insurance while in Canada.

Just before New Year I got appendicitis and had to have surgery in a hospital 3 hours away from where I am living. The hospital said they would sort all the costs out with my insurance provider. HolidaySafe were very easy to contact and paid the bill quickly. 6 weeks after my surgery I received another bill from the ambulance providers, for some reason it was sent to me and not to HolidaySafe as promised. The bill even said I had to pay the amount directly (within 30 days!) and settle the costs with my provider independently. I did not have the funds to do this, but I contacted HolidaySafe who quickly paid the balance.

Overall I have been very impressed with the quick and efficient service, and would definitely recommend this company to people looking for travel insurance.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: 'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance

We've just taken out Holidaysafe Longstay Plus for our 12 months trip to India, South-East Asia, China and Australia. Have spent some time comparing 20+ travel insurance policies aimed at backpacking/long-term travel, and this one was the cheapest while above the minimum limits of cover recommended by MoneySupermarket for all categories (medical expenses, personal liability, cancellation, baggage, cash, excess). we paid a total of £382 including a £72 add-on for category 2 activities (including go-karting, horse-riding, mountain walking, elephant trekking etc.)

London, United...
reviews: 2
6. Re: 'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance

I have used Holidaysafe.co.uk, and had to make a claim. I took out the Longstay policy for backpackers. Like most people, I got insurance just to cover myself not expecting to ever have to make a claim. Sadly 6 weeks before I was due to return home I lost my grandmother and had to return home to England early. I was unable to change the date of my return flight as they had nothing available for me to get home in time for the funeral so I was left with no choice but to buy a whole new flight home which had to be purchased on my dads credit card. As I only had a basic level of cover the maximum refund for cutting short my trip due to death of a family member was only £500.00, but I am pleased to say just over 4 weeks ago after submitting my claim I have been refunded the full £500.00. This was my first experience of making an insurance claim and I have to say I was very pleased with the service.

Aylesbury, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: 'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance

After spending so long looking for travel insurance, specifically reviews, for my 6 month SEA trip and I ended up going for the backpacker plus from Holidaysafe.

Once I received the documents and fine print and gave it a good look over. There were a couple of issues with the fine print not matching up with the proposed summary. For me the policy summary stated £0 excess when claiming for money lost/stolen. In the fine print (policy wording), an excess was mentioned in regard to any money claims. I emailed customer service who confirmed the policy wording was incorrect and that they were "currently updating it" and that I wouldn't have to pay any excess if I was claiming for this. If I needed to claim at a later stage and there were any issues, I was told to quote this email.

After sorting out extra activities/sports and clarifying their cover (i.e. bouldering, DH mountain biking), which was covered for a little extra, I decided to go with the policy and it was still such good value.

As it happened I ended up making a claim for just over £100 of cash in my wallet, which got stolen on the ferry from Bali to Lombok. I filed a police report, got a copy of my bank statement, filled out holidaysafe's claim form and sent all of those documents to them.

As expected the process took around a month but I received my money back from the claim with no questions or issues. So all in all I am pleased I went with these guys and have used them since for a MTB holiday as they were dead cheap.

The only thing I'd say (and this really goes for any insurance policy), read the policy wording (fine print) and ensure everything matches up with the summary, also confirm the definition of any sporting activities (i.e. climbing doesn't cover bouldering or deep water soloing) and hopefully you won't have any problems claiming if you provide the correct documents and follow the correct procedure.

Reply to: 'Holiday Safe' Long Stay backpacker insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions