We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

Minneapolis...
US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

I've tried many options for Car Rental in Maui in August to find the best price. The best rates I've found are on www.carrentals.co.uk. This site seems to be a broker site for other UK based car rental services. They all have MUCH better rates than I can find via US based Direct (Enterprise, Alamo, etc.) or Travel Search Engines (Kayak, priceline, etc.). Some requre that you are from outside Canada and the US, others (such as hirecars, do not.

Should I use on of these sites? Anyone have similar experiences?

Many Thanks -

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
1. Re: US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

Lots of visitors from Europe use those sites when they come here to California because they include insurance etc. and they don't charge drop off fees. I have not heard of a USA citizen using them for cars in the USA!

London, England
reviews: 64
2. Re: US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

With the majority of brokers they only make the booking for you, they don't take the cost of the hire. Also, many have the option of seeing the cost in USD, GBP or Euros.

Personally, I don't see why you can't book through them, at the end of the day they are only acting as a booking agent.

Philadelphia...
3. Re: US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

Have you had the chance to experience renting a car from an European broker?

Thanks,

London, England
4. Re: US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

I have used European brokers hundreds of times. Believe it or not, we don't eat our young here in Europe.

What is the difference in using a European broker than using a US one. If you live in NYC and book with one based in LA they are still many miles away.

Besides many 'European' brokers are part of US companies anyway.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
5. Re: US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

For whatever mysterious reasons go into setting rates, it seems rates can fluctuate between US and other country websites even for the same company, like Hertz as an example.

I think you have to read the fine print, the terms and conditions, to make sure the rate is available to US residents.

With third party booking agents you also have to make sure that all taxes and fees are included in the quoted rate. Some companies advertise low rates, but add in extras.

Philadelphia...
6. Re: US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

:) Sorry , I didn't mean that... I just wanted to know if someone with only an american driving license can rent from these brokers.

London, England
7. Re: US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

Mike

These brokers contract cars all over the world. Providing you have a full driving licence you can book with them. In fact, the broker will not ask you for driving licence details, they will want your age, but nothing else.

Also, if they are UK based they may want a deposit in GBP. I get around paying in other currencies as I have a CC that doesn't charge me for any foreign transactions.

Make sure you read all the terms and Conditions before you part with any money.

8. Re: US Drivers License 4 US Car Rental via UK based Car Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 20, 2014