We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold car rental

Bled, Slovenia
reviews: 8
Gold car rental

Please, please be warned this hire car company charges you extra for a full tank of petrol, this is on top of your booking fee. It's just cost me an extra €90. You are supposed to bring it back empty, hardly possible on a 4 day break. I used maybe €15 only. What's more the car was a Ford Fiesta and would not take more than €50 to fill.

This is a total scam and everyone who had made a booking with Gold Car at Faro airport was totally discount allied by this.

DO NOT USE,,,,,

391 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 103
91. Re: Gold car rental

Agree with all the comments. Just rented two cars from them in Italy, apart from ripping us off for petrol, they lied to us when we wanted to cancel with the broker and told us they were closed when we now find that they are open 24 hrs. We had a problem with one of the cars (doesn't go up hills with more than one person in - we had to get out and walk!!!) and they were impossible to contact. The phone numbers they gave are out of service or don't answer. Finally got them and they were very unhelpful. Never rent from them

Edinburgh, United...
92. Re: Gold car rental

Just returned from Pisa Italy, where I hire from Gold, A total farse!. Queued for an hour as everyone in the line was having the same conversation re being ripped off!. Had prepayed everything including Insurance but was confronted with the option of buying "their" insurance or being charged an additional 1600 Euro's - when I said I'd take the charge on my credit card the rep told me its subject to a non-refundable "inspection" charg of 300 Euro's on return .. i.e.) we'll do you for that then! - Have'nt been treated this bad by a car hire company before. Avoid at all costs, A total sham!. Ironically as I left Pisa airport, Gold have a 40 ft bill board advert saying they're the cheapest on the Internet .. Dont think So!!!!!. Also there's no option to return the car full of fuel, so a medium sized car needed £150 fuel too......

Edinburgh, United...
93. Re: Gold car rental

Just returned from Pisa Italy, where I hire from Gold, A total farse!. Queued for an hour as everyone in the line was having the same conversation re being ripped off!. Had prepayed everything including Insurance but was confronted with the option of buying "their" insurance or being charged an additional 1600 Euro's - when I said I'd take the charge on my credit card the rep told me its subject to a non-refundable "inspection" charg of 300 Euro's on return .. i.e.) we'll do you for that then! - Have'nt been treated this bad by a car hire company before. Avoid at all costs, A total sham!. Ironically as I left Pisa airport, Gold have a 40 ft bill board advert saying they're the cheapest on the Internet .. Dont think So!!!!!. Also there's no option to return the car full of fuel, so a medium sized car needed £150 fuel too......

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 21
94. Re: Gold car rental

Probably all been already said but DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY If you can avoid it. Just back from Malaga where I had a two week hire with them because they appeared initially to be significantly cheaper than Europcar who I normally use. On arrival at the airport, we had to queue for more than two hours in 33 degrees to pick up the car (not great with two young children) - the queue was mainly due to the customers in front of us arguing about the hidden charges. I wasn't aware of the fuel charge (return the tank empty) which is a con in itself unless you can arrange to free wheel the car back to the airport, but I later discovered that in addition to charging me 50 cents a litre more than the nearest petrol station, they also charged me for 55 litres for a car with a tank that could only hold 45 litres. There is a real hard sell for the insurance. Despite what my paperwork from the broker said, the clerk initially insisted that I had no insurance and would have to pay an extra 120 Euros. When I argued about this ( bearing in mind that we had already queued for two hours and were fast losing the will to live) he conceded that I did have third party insurance but unless I took his insurance I would be liable for any and all damage to the car and that Goldcar would immediately charge my credit card for such damage when I returned the car. - Up to 14,000 Euros. I again pointed out that I had my own excess cover, and was told I would then have to pay 600euros on my credit card, which would be immediately deducted from the card and refunded a week after I retuned the car. This again was not true as the money is "reserved" on the card for the duration of the hire, much like when you leave your card at a hotel check in. When I insisted that I was not taking insurance, the clerk became downright rude and lost all interest in me. I struggled to find the car in the car park, and had to return to the desk, where I was initially told I would have to wait in the queue again to be seen. That was never going to happen! When I did eventually get the car ( which wasn't parked where I was told) there was quite a lot of body damage to the car, which resulted in me having to return again to the desk. I was then told that body damage is not be charged for when you return the car, which was completely contrary to what I was told during the insurance hard sell. The car was pretty dirty and had 70, 000 KM on the clock - it looked like it had just come back from a hire and had not been cleaned prior to be given to me. In the end, with the fuel charge, the car cost me about 40 euro less for a two week hire than it would have had I used one of the reputable companies at Malaga Airport - I would happily pay more than this just to avoid the initial queue, but in all it took me more than three and a half hours to pick up the car. Be aware when using the car hire brokers on the Internet that what they promise is not always what you get!

York, England
reviews: 1
95. Re: Gold car rental

Don't use them, they are con merchants. I agree with all the bad reviews. We had to wait nearly 2 hours to get our car and there were only 3 customers in front of us but all were complaining as we were all expected to pay an extra 170 euro extra insurance in case anyone bumped the car and drove off plus an extra 107 euro for the full tank of fuel for a ford cmax. this was all on top of what we originally paid for hire of the car. We were all given the hard sell and at 2am in the morning. Not what you need to start a holiday off! BEWARE of the pirates!

Bedford, United...
96. Re: Gold car rental

Not quite the horror story some have reported, the car was newish, clean and well-maintained and although we paid GBp200 extra at the airport the difference between "basic" and "comprehensive" insurance was understood from the initial booking. The "full tank" policy is very cheeky and an obvious screw for anyone on a short break or on a small island, so we took great pleasure in returning the vehicle with 5 miles of fuel in the tank. But the nasty surprise came after we got home and found my debit card had been charged Eur60/GBp53 for "special cleaning". The vehicle was absolutely spotless when we dropped it off, inside and out. Never even been used for travel to/from beach, only used for evenings out and shopping so no sand/tanning oil etc. A total let-down and a unnecessary cheap shot on their part. Will be disputing the payment, won't be using them again.

Leeds, United...
reviews: 4
97. Re: Gold car rental

I've just been stood at GoldCar in Pisa behind another customer where the woman behind the desk was refusing to give him the keys to his car. I think the GoldCar colleague required some retraining in customer service as the customer certainly wasn't king. I certainly didn't want to get on the wrong side of her.

A good piece of advice is to use the website Tipoa as they give you visibility of this crazy/extortionate full/empty fuel policy which GoldCar seemed to pioneer. If it looks like a SCAM and smells like a SCAM GoldCar then it is a SCAM!!!

Kinsale
98. Re: Gold car rental

do not use goldcar. they would not refund fuel money as agreed and hung up on us when we rang. also car worked out twice as expensive and they said insurance was not included even though it said it clearly on printed booking form that it was. We were threatened that if there was a mark on the car it would cost us 1200 euro... we had no choice. Total sham of an organisation. BEWARE..

Bristol, United...
99. Re: Gold car rental

Bunch of crooks. They advertise cheap rates to get the business from the search engines, then shaft the customer to recover the profits. I had a car for two weeks, took it back to the airport and flew home, nothing unusual there. A week later I see a debit on my account for £53. I email them and they say it is a charge for a 'special cleaning service' costing 60E that was necessary. Utter rip off, there was a bit of sand from the flip flops, as expected, nothing that a routine car hoover wouldn't sort out. No spilt drinks, food, sun lotion, vomit, sweet wrappers etc. I complained and they sent me 6 grainy e mails showing sand in the boot and on the carpet. I thought it odd when a Goldcar employee directed me into a parking space back at the Goldcar depot, and didn't have a quick inspection. Now I know why, because if he had, they would not be able to get away with shafting me, and anyone else, an extra £53. Crooks.

Oxford, United...
100. Re: Gold car rental

In addition to being ripped off by the fuel policy as mentioned by people above, we had 60 euros put on our credit card without our knowledge after returning the car. After lengthy correspondence with Holiday Autos (phone calls go to Poland via India) it was revealed that this was for cleaning the car - they sent photos showing dust on the floor. Although we pointed out that dust is inevitable in Spain in the summer, and that they would have to hoover the interior anyway before the next rental AND that 60 euros was a ridiculous sum, Holiday Autos declined to refund us. So be warned!

Reply to: Gold car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted