We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels.com experience

West Palm Beach...
hotels.com experience

I booked a hotel through Hotels.com and later that day saw a lower price on the hotel site itself. Hotels.com states a full rerfund available but they refused to refund the taxes and fees charged. I cancelled the entire booking. Also had to call 5 times with 3 call drops and had difficulty understanding 2 agents. Poor customer service and too much frustration.Please stay away from them.

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
1. Re: hotels.com experience

Before you made the purchase on hotels.com did you read the terms and conditions of the purchase? I imagine it says there that the refund would not include any taxes or fees charged.

ktown

West Palm Beach...
2. Re: hotels.com experience

I spoke with two agents and both said "full refund if cancelled before 2 days before arrival".Nothing on website mentioned qualifying no refund on taxes and fees. Those fees are from the hotel and state and had nothing to do with hotels.com site.

West Palm Beach...
3. Re: hotels.com experience

Your imagination should lead you to reading the site for yourself unless you are an employee of the sitte!

Iowa
reviews: 27
4. Re: hotels.com experience

<<<<Those fees are from the hotel and state and had nothing to do with hotels.com site.

Each hotel has a different cancel policy and hotels.com will pass this policy on to it's customers. Booking over the phone is not a good idea as you have no written information.

Accusing a member of being an employee will not get you any respect towards your complaint.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: hotels.com experience

"Your imagination should lead you to reading the site for yourself"

I expect ktowntravevllr's imagination does not extend to mindreading in which case he'll be unable to look up the precise T&C associated with the booking you made.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
6. Re: hotels.com experience

I use hotels.com to compare prices, but I almost always find the same rate available directly form the hotel website. So, I book directly with the hotel rather than dealing with a 3rd party.

I am confused. You paid at the time of booking, but you were able to cancel? I thought most pre paid bookings did not allow for cancellation? Or maybe you were able to cancel because you were within 24 hours of booking?

Anyway, I find it's better to compare rates before I book, not after. There always seems to be a catch or some red tape involved in after the purchase price matching.

Iowa
7. Re: hotels.com experience

No przyk , 3rd party bookings are mostly refundable depending on the hotels own cancel policy which is passed along from the 3rd party site to the customer.

The OP is a little confusing. The Op says this...

Hotels.com states a full rerfund available but they refused to refund the taxes and fees charged. I cancelled the entire booking.

They refused the entire refund after you cancelled, or you cancelled after they refused the entire refund? In the end, did you get a full refund?

Edited: 10:36 am, April 24, 2012
Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
8. Re: hotels.com experience

dena8999 - I think this is my first accusation of being a employee of a company! Most long time TA members have had this experience, and now I can join this club...move on, these accusations are ridiculous of me, so I now have to infer that your accusations of hotels.com are ridiculous as well.

ktown

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
9. Re: hotels.com experience

Just for the info of anyone else reading this about hotels.com, I looked up their terms and conditions and found this paragraph within 30 seconds of clicking on the page.

"Hotels.com has waived its change and cancellation fees for lodging bookings. You can change or cancel your lodging booking online or by calling 1-800-CA-HOTELS (1-800-224-6835). You may still be subject to change and cancellation fees that our lodging suppliers impose and require us to pass on, as indicated in the rules and restrictions for the reservation."

So there you have it. Read the terms and conditions and then maybe you won't have to come to TA and complain that you didn't get a refund that you didn't deserve.

ktown

Iowa
10. Re: hotels.com experience

Thank you, ktown- for posting that. I touched on it in reply #4 and thought that was probably the case.

If that was your first accusation of being an employee you are doing pretty good. I was accused of it a long time ago.