We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costco Travel

Arlington, Virginia
Costco Travel

Does anyone have experience booking through Costco Travel? I didn't even realize that they had this service...

96 replies to this topic
Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
1. Re: Costco Travel

I've booked a rental car through them. It was basically a code that gave me a discount during the online booking with the rental car company. Combined that with a mastercard discount code for a great deal.

Haven't used them for anything else.

ktown

Washington DC...
reviews: 28
2. Re: Costco Travel

We've booked cruises through them, they were great to deal with never had any problems and were generally cheaper then others I found.

Sacramento...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Costco Travel

We booked through Costco a package trip to Oahu (February 2012) for two people. The package included air fare, hotel and came with some other amenities (e.g., free breakfast, $100 room credit, etc.). The Costco travel reps were very good to deal with, in fact, they searched and came up with a package deal that was less expensive than we could have booked either through the hotel directly or through the Airline. As with their warehouse goods, Costco is a volume seller, which includes travel packages.

The only annoyance was that, even though we booked the package 3 months in advance, we could not get assigned seats from Hawaiian Air until 24-hours before departure. The Costco rep indicated that Hawaiian Air still sells (assigned) seats until 24-hours before departure and then they release whatever seats are unsold. Thus, you have to call the airlines 24-hours before departure to try to get assigned seats together. During non-peak travel season this may not be a problem. However, this arrangement creates uncertainty and unneeded stress, and who wants that before going on a holiday.

Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 10
4. Re: Costco Travel

We booked a two week trip to the Cook Island in the South Pacific (Rarotonga) through Costco, not the first problem. Their staff was very helpful and the young lady gave us her direct number so that we didn't have to call through the general board each time we had a question (which was only once or twice, they are very thorough).

Would use them again in a minute!!!

Glasgow, Scotland
reviews: 30
5. Re: Costco Travel

Do Costco in the UK also have a travel service?

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 1
6. Re: Costco Travel

You've been forewarned - this is long, but contains what I think is important information:

My husband and I booked our honeymoon to the Majestic Elegance Punta Cana resort through Costco Travel and were very pleased. Our flight was from Portland, Oregon and arrived in Charlotte, North Carolina where we had a 45 minute layover before flying to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. However, Hurricane Irene decided to come on through and our flight to the DR was cancelled (not rescheduled, but straight out cancelled). We were stuck in Charlotte and the airline did not have another flight out for 4 days. Our choices were to: a) stay in Charlotte for 4 days until the next available flight to the DR was while paying out of pocket for our hotel, food and drinks (excluding alcohol); OR b) pay out of pocket to return to Portland and not go on our honeymoon. Both options allowed us to be reimbursed for up to $2000 per person after submitting our claim and receipts upon returning home.

Anyway, a few tips: get trip insurance! It was around $70 extra, but so worth it. Also, save all your receipts! There is always a possibility that travel plans may have to change, but save yourself financially by being able to be reimbursed later.

The only downside was that we were in Charlotte, which is on EST, and Costco Travel is in Seattle, on PST. We arrived in Charlotte at 8:00 am EST/5:00 am PST and Costco Travel didn't open until 11:00 am EST/8:00 am PST, so we had to wait 3 hours until we could contact them regarding where we could stay and such. However, they did give us a packet to print out with our itinerary that told us, for the most part, what to do in the event that there was a change of plans.

Aside from the short glitch in plans, everything else (Charlotte, Majestic Elegance, the flights and customer service) was amazing!!!

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to do my best to be very thorough and helpful :)

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Costco Travel

We have booked multiple trips with them. The last one was for Hawaii last week. Their rate is better (not much better) than others. The problem is that you are on your own if something goes wrong because they have limited service hours.

Williamston...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Costco Travel

Costco's travel website has FALSE information with regard to the rental car location at BWI and Enterprise rental car. It shows Enterprise as IN TERMINAL and the other three competitors as SHUTTLE. Enterprise's rates are HIGHER which would make sense if located IN TERMINAL, right?

Problem is, they are located in the same place as the companies who require a shuttle (Avis, Budget, Alamo) and a shuttle is required for Enterprise as well as has been for over two years. HOWEVER THE ENTERPRISE RATES ARE HIGHER TO COINCIDE WITH THEIR LOCATION IN TERMINAL.

Costco refuses to address this unless I follow up my phone call with a written complaint even though it is very easy to check my information. Bring up a rental at BWI then call and see if they are in terminal as stated on the website. Very, very disappointed with Costco's customer service on this small issue and would NEVER book expensive travel.

9. Re: Costco Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, June 30, 2012

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
10. Re: Costco Travel

The rates of a rental car company have nothing to do with location of their cars. The Costco site does list them as 'In Terminal' but it also states the pickup address as....

Balt Washington Intl Apt

7426 New Ridge Rd Po Box 347

Hanover, MD 21076, US

Clearly this is not in any terminal. The map provided also shows their correct location.

Reply to: Costco Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted