We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

new york, ny
reviews: 16
recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

Can you recommend a site which lists reduced last minute bookings for hotels? How far in advance are these listings usually posted?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 244
1. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

www.booking.com is a good hotel search engine but it is not designated nor does it specialize in last-minute offers. You might want to give it a go to see if you can find a hotel to whatever destination you are considering.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

I have a problem with last minutes 3rd party (on-line) sites. I know you may save a few bucks, but I find that if you can find the deal and book it, if something goes wrong and you need to contact customer service, most are non-existent. I usually contact the hotel property directly to scour for deals.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
reviews: 59
3. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

I had nothing but strife from lastminute.com but find laterooms.com useful for Ireland and Britain at least.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
4. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

Agree with bk_t1

Low cost tour agents save you a few dollars of quid on the initial cost of the trip but cost you much time, money and happiness on the back-end due to their inability to service clients.

Remember low cost = low quality (service) and in no industry is this more true than in the travel industry.

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 106
5. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

I wouldn't necessary agree that low cost = low quality. I've had same great low rates and received great service/product.

The problem seems to often be third party booking sites where people don't read all the terms and conditions. Or third party sites that people use without verifying that they are reputable. True that if a site is able to offer low prices then they need to recover the money somewhere, and that may be in the customer service department.

ktown

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
6. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

ktown

I too have had some low cost/high service experiences, so yes it is possible! In SE Asia, I sometimes receive fantastic service that can be a fraction of the cost of mediocre service elsewhere. If you do your research, as you've rightly pointed out, you'll find that these opportunities do exist.

However, are they the norm or the exception to the rule? I will argue that it is usually the exception to the rule simply due business economics which dictate operators (service providers) inability to provide service when they sell at low prices. They simply can't afford to service you that well due to thin margins produced by offering low prices. This problem exists in many service industries, its not unique to travel.

But, if homework is done, you've rightly pointed out that it is possible to find some very good opportunities to avail of good/high travel service at a low cost! In the end! You just have to do your research, which unfortunately too many people don't!

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
7. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

I use Name your own price - priceline, occasionally skyauction. Also airbnb lately; so far all good, but I do spend a lot of time researching it....usually can guess the hotels, etc. Priceline works best for the last minute...Skyauction - well in advance., both non-refundable....

8. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, December 28, 2011
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
9. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

Careful post 8.). Solicitation is a violation of TA forum rules.

Cambridge, United...
10. Re: recommendation for cheap last minute hotel booking site?

My personal recommendation would be priceline, several successful experiences with them when the hour is late.