We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level Contributor
469 posts
3 reviews

Has anyone used priceline "name your own price" ?

Is it recommended ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
31. Re: Priceline

Agree with bk_t1. If you want to make the most out of Priceline, it's best to educate yourself on how it works, how to rebid and squeeze every last savings out of Priceline ;-) It can be a lot of work though. I find myself spending a lot of time researching sites like www.hoteldealsrevealed.com and betterbidding and the like for hours only to save $10 to $20 per night. I enjoy doing that sorta thing but if you want to save time, you might want to go with a normal booking site.

Oh yea you might want to know that Pricelines reservations are non-refundable which I think is the reason most people avoid the site.

Moncton, Canada
1 post
32. Re: Priceline

I have used Priceline a number of times and I do recommend them. However, do not look for a refund because your circumstances change. It clearly states that once you buy your room, it's yours no return policy. We usually only book a few days in advance. We have never paid for a night we haven't used but eventually it will happen. Mean while we stay in luxury rooms at 60% off SWEET!

33. Re: Priceline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:06 pm, January 27, 2013
New York City, New...
3 posts
34. Re: Priceline

Many people use name your own price to book their discount hotel.

There are 3 major communities in which people share their thoughts, experience and wins:

www.iBIDLow.com (Reveals hotels before bidding & Latest Bids )

www.betterbiding.com (Have a great bidding forum )

www.biddingfortravel.com (Have a great question and answers from the community section)

After you will bid once you'll never book otherwise, because of the savings

Good Luck

Edited: 4:09 am, March 19, 2013
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
218 reviews
35. Re: Priceline

I disagree that once you bid you will never obtain a hotel room in any other manner. I have done this, and I have had a good experience and several bad experiences. You have no control over the type of room you receive. Generally your only guarantee is that it will sleep two people. Once that was a twin bed and a foot cushion that folded out into a mat on the floor. You also have no control over whether or not you are assigned to a smoking room.

Happily more and more hotels are going completely smoke free, but until they do I will not take the risk of being assigned into a smoking room. It is possible to have a very miserable evening in your bargain hotel room. Complaints or requests for a different room are pointless if you obtained your room in any way other than a direct reservation with specific requests.

Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
9,468 posts
62 reviews
36. Re: Priceline

I also disagree that once you bid thru Priceline you will never go back. I have never had a negative experience bidding on Priceline, but I don't use it often. I only use it when I am not overly concerned about location or amenities. I don't think most people would be happy with name your own price unless they are willing to do lots of research to try to figure out where they may end up.

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
107 reviews
37. Re: Priceline

I agree that Priceline is not always the best place for travelers to book their hotels. The lack of control in room type etc means it won't work for many travelers. I've used Priceline, but I also use other third party booking sites, as well as hotels own websites. They all serve a purpose and can be the best choice.

4 posts
38. Re: Priceline

Hi Metayelet,

Sophie0811 has a great tip, but instead you can always use www.ibidlow.com or www.betterbidding.com

to find the latest wins and know exactly how low to bid.

It can save you allot, the one thing that you must know is that you can't cancel the deal after it was booked.

Enjoy your trip!

4 posts
39. Re: Priceline

Thanks for the tip!

Bacolod, Philippines
3 posts
40. Re: Priceline

NYOP is a customer driven service feature of priceline. It will be up to you as the customer on how much do you like to spend for it. All you have to do is to name your price or budget and priceline will do the rest. But you cannot choose a specific hotel or whatever of course for it will be priceline who will look for a partner who will take your bid.