We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline

Israel
reviews: 3
Priceline

Hi,

Has anyone used priceline "name your own price" ?

Is it recommended ?

Thanks

87 replies to this topic
norfolk
reviews: 30
1. Re: Priceline

i have not used it, but many people do. one of the ny experts, new york whiz, always recommends it. there are pitfalls, but many can be avoided by using the info in this site which i link

http://www.betterbidding.com/

a good read of this before you start will be helpful. if you are taken with the 'mystery hotels', nywhiz can often hazzard a guess at which hotels they are; just post on the ny forum. ;-) [but for goodness' sake don't ask about apartment rentals!]

pam

Israel
reviews: 3
2. Re: Priceline

Thanks Pam.

BTW, why not appartement rentals ?

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
3. Re: Priceline

I've used it for a car rental. Worked absolutely fine. Just be aware that the price you bid is for the car/room itself, and does not include taxes/fees. The suggestion to check out betterbidding.com is a great one.

ktown

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
reviews: 49
4. Re: Priceline

You can find incredible deals on Priceline, but as you're a novice travel bidder - please read betterbidding.com and ask for advice on how to bid.

norfolk
5. Re: Priceline

apartments in nyc are generally considered wrong by the forum members. currently there are city ordinances limiting most rentals to contracts of over 30 days. this situation changes on 31st may, when instead of a city ordinance, it becomes a law.

the short term rental of apartments to tourists is seen as damaging to people who need to live and work in a city increasingly under pressure from tourism. it is also damaging to the hotel sector.

the nyc forum members tend to give this information strongly laced with rudeness and aggression.

in fact, although there could be a chance of finding a deal, the apartment rental business is full of scammers. if you are on a budget, i doubt you would want to risk losing all your money. so best to steer clear.

pam

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
6. Re: Priceline

You don't say which city you want to bid for?

I have used PL NYOP a couple times. It is not recommended in every city. Some cities it is recommended and easy to determine which hotel you may get.

I recently used it for travel to Amsterdam. I stayed in a 4* hotel in the city center for $92/night total with tax. The hotels own website rate was about 190euro/night plus tax.

Know which area and star level you want before you start bidding. Once a bid is won and you are given a hotel it is yours. No refunds.

norfolk
7. Re: Priceline

sorry! i assumed new york from your other questions.....

pam

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 158
8. Re: Priceline

I have used them many times. However, a better rate on hotels can be received by doing the following:

1. Check Hotwire - secret hotels first

2. Figure out which likely hotels

3. Go to Priceline - see recent bids on hotel in the area

4. Pick the hotel you like (Check TA); write down about 2-3

5. Call the hotel(s) directly, ask for the Manager (Mon-Fri 9-5), & ask for Manager Special of 5% less than usual secret hotel rate..

Then negotiate - some managers will say OK immediately, others will "bargain" with you....The bottom line: the hotels do not pay the commission, so they will pass on the saving to you...

Some hotels do not like to discount, but after TA's contributors report, are more than likely... Recent calling around Charlotte; is an example:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g49022-i291-k41372…

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
9. Re: Priceline

pam....Your assumption is probably correct. I did not notice the other threads.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
10. Re: Priceline

I recently looked up some new hint boards and websites that offer additional guidance for PL & HW bids. I've personally used PL many times. Here are the sites: www.betterbidding.com - www.biddingfortravel.com - www.ibidlow.com - www.hoteldealsrevealed.com - and the newest one I've seen is www.biddingtraveler.com - I agree with the idea to check with the hotel too, they might offer a better unpublished deal, never hurts. The one watchout is that often PL & HW ratings (ie. stars) don't match mine.

Edited: 4:50 pm, January 10, 2011
Reply to: Priceline
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted