We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Hotwire

Scottsdale, AZ
reviews: 9
Beware Hotwire

Beware "Pig In A Poke" bookings!

I just got burned by Hotwire. I booked a hotel at LAX in order to get rest before an allnight trip. After booking I learned (as is their normal procedures) that I would be staying at the Holiday Inn LAX. That sounded fine to me until I called the hotel directly to make a routine inquirey. The front desk personnel told me that they were under a complete renovation, and there was dust in the air and hammering and pounding noises from 8AM to 7PM and there was no quiet in the hotel anywhere. So, after thinking about the dust and the noise that would intrude on my best 4 hours of possible sleep (working all night, remember?) I called Hotwire and told them I couldn't stay there. They imformed me that I would have to check in and only then could they "walk" me to another hotel.... maybe.

So, that's two cab rides (not cheap in LA) and about 1 1/2 hours of my time, when they know the hotel will be unacceptable because the hotel itself says so!

Resist the temptation, don't use these guys! You're buying a "Pig in a Poke".

475 replies to this topic
Dubuque, Iowa
131. Re: Beware Hotwire

Don't let them get away with this crap. I would suggest you to file a complaint with BBB.org and Rippedoffreport.com. FIGHT BACK THESE SCAMMERS!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
132. Re: Beware Hotwire

I just recently used Hotwire yet again for a hotel in the Denver area - got a great hotel for approximately half of what it should have been - LOVE hotwire! You just need to be sure to do your research. :)

Dallas, Texas...
133. Re: Beware Hotwire

Hotwire is horrible. Do not waste your time. They are out to screw you and leave you high and dry. That is their business...steer clear!!!

Dallas, Texas...
134. Re: Beware Hotwire

DO NOT USE HOTWIRE. They are out to screw you at every corner. Their "deals" are not deals, they are what no one wants. Find a REAL deal somewhere else. Their ratings are incorrect, and their very fine print is still mis leading. No customer service. They are out to rip you off, DO NOT DO IT!!

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
135. Re: Beware Hotwire

Lisa....How about giving some details rather than just screaming useless rants like a crazy person.

Markham, Canada
reviews: 1
136. Re: Beware Hotwire

very true if Hotwire was cheap. At least for Canadian destination I have not seen any savings. I am the first and last time user of Hotwire. If they hide the hotel name and details, then it cannot be right. You are right, if you are risking blind, then you deserve the crap. Hotwire, will provide NO value 90% of the time. They are not service oriented- I think they are an auction site to get rid of what has not sold and those that don't sell easily. No cancellation, no changes, no revealing of what you get... put it all together genius... it's a scam.

137. Re: Beware Hotwire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, August 15, 2013

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
138. Re: Beware Hotwire

>>>If they hide the hotel name and details, then it cannot be right<<<

Do you actually know that this is their business model?

>>> I think they are an auction site to get rid of what has not sold and those that don't sell easily<<<

Can you please substantiate how you came to this conclusion?

>>>it's a scam<<<

No comment...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
139. Re: Beware Hotwire

Hotwire is not the only company that does blind booking for great deals - several other travel websites are also offering those deals - priceline, Travelocity, etc. I always compare with a few other sites, and so far, I have seldom gotten a bad deal - rather, often I have saved a bunch of money and gotten a nice hotel. Like all things related to travel, it helps if you do your research. :)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
140. Re: Beware Hotwire

"it's a scam."

Complete nonsense.

Reply to: Beware Hotwire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted