We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inspiration

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 26
Holiday Inspiration

Hello,

Me and my partner are looking to go on a beach holiday in the last 2 weeks of september this year.

We are totally stumped for ideas!

Ideally we would like to go somewhere with stunning white sand beaches and beautiful scenery, warm crystal clear sea, little areas to potter around and possibly some sight seeing, oh and no touristy places! like to experience the local culture!

We will be travelling from Sheffield so any east midlands airports will be fine, can also do London Luton if it was a great bargin, our budget ideally would be either half board or all inc for no more than £800 pp, looking for either a 10 day or 14 night stay, would also do a week if it was a much better deal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am totally stuck!

we have been looking at the carribbean but its hurricane season and im not sure we would want to risk it, also been looking at Sri Lanka but its quite expensive!

Suggestions welcome....

Thank you!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
reviews: 86
1. Re: Holiday Inspiration

Sorry but no touristy places do not come with "direct flights from UK, half board or all inc for no more than £800 pp"

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
2. Re: Holiday Inspiration

yes, that is a hard one.have you looked into croatia, or turkey? not direct flights, but some ideas.

Sheffield, United...
3. Re: Holiday Inspiration

I've had a look at quite a few places to be honest! Croatia looks beautiful but there seem to be alot of pebble beaches! I have found quite a few holidays for around the price I'm after (found a 2 week holiday to Sri Lanka for about £900 pp) but was just after some inspiration or advice on good places for that time really! Any suggestions will be appreciated!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
4. Re: Holiday Inspiration

yes, there are pebbly beaches..give that up...one of the cleanest, easiest to get around, nicest people, safe..and all that. oh, pebbles...the water is so clear, you can see for miles.

reviews: 81
5. Re: Holiday Inspiration

Hey Charley48... fair's fair LOL.

I was in Croatia last year (spent a week on land and 2 weeks bareboat sailing through the Southern Dalmatian islands). LOVED IT and I agree the water was so clear you could see for miles. Being from Australia I also LOVED the history and towns like Trogir, Split, Dubrovnik, Korcula, etc as we have nothing like those places here in Oz.

HOWEVER... the poster asked for "...stunning white sand beaches and beautiful scenery, warm crystal clear sea, little areas to potter around and possibly some sight seeing, oh and no touristy places! like to experience the local culture!" That is NOT Croatian beaches; not even Croatia.

I went to Croatia expecting a non-touristy destination but it is well and truly discovered. Not that this mattered so much as the culture was different to my own. The scenery is stunning in places but I didn't see any stunning white sand beaches. I saw lots of lovely pebbly beaches, rocky beaches and very coarse sand beaches which were all fine as long as one had reef or water shoes on. I did meet some lovely Croatians and I also met a lot of very reserved Croatians (not rude, not mean... just 'reserved' compared to some other countries - but probably less so than some other countries).

To Ballysia... I hope you find what you are looking for. Sri Lanka and the Maldives are high on my list of 'to visits'. I've been to some pretty "...stunning white sand beaches... beautiful scenery, warm crystal clear sea, little areas to potter ... some sight seeing" not touristy places but they are a fair way away from the U.K.

If you can find a bargain to the islands off the east coast of Malaysia (Perhentian's or Tioman) these would fit your criteria; as would Belitung Island, north of Sumatra and Java (Indonesia). ANY of the islands off the west coast of Thailand (Ko Lipe is perfect). Of course, these may be easier and cheaper for Aussie's to get to.

What about the Azores or Canaries or Seychelles... or are these all expensive from the UK? They are all also on my wish list to visit. Have fun wherever you end up! :)

Sheffield, United...
6. Re: Holiday Inspiration

Thanks for the posts guys! Appreciate the help,

I've been having a look around and whilst I would love to go to Malaysia, Thailand (already been there and loved it!) or Sri Lanka it's just too much to get there! Such a shame as they are amazing places.

I think ill probably end up getting a late deal through Voyage Prive or something similar, they seem to have some pretty good deals on 5* places, might just have to accept I'm not going to be able to afford what I'm after! Will deffinately be going to all those places at some point though!

reviews: 81
7. Re: Holiday Inspiration

Hey, you make me smile because I have the opposite issue to you.

Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia, etc (inc Bali, Gili Islands, etc)... anywhere in Asia is dirt cheap for me to get to from Australia (Air Asia, Tiger, Jetstar etc all very cheap no frills airlines) and so I've been to Asia quite a lot over many years.

I want to go to the Azores, Canary Islands, Seychelles, many Caribbean islands, Ibiza, etc and these are all VERY EXPENSIVE for me to get too.

The bright side I can offer you is that once you have paid for your airfare from the UK to anywhere in Asia you will then not know what to do with your money... travel, accomms, food, attractions are just SO SO cheap overall compared to the UK, European countries, Canada, the USA, Australia and NZ, etc.

I'm looking at a driving vacation through part of Europe next year (mainly Italy) and a couple of weeks in Turkey and the Greek islands and the prices are KILLING me as I'm so used to living on peanuts when on holidays in Asia. I had to GULP a lot even when in Croatia, Italy and Montenegro last year as they weren't even much cheaper than Australia and certainly WAY, WAY more expensive than lots of Asian countries.

Have a fantastic holiday wherever you end up! :)

Sheffield, United...
8. Re: Holiday Inspiration

It is crazy how expensive Europe can be, it's not expensive for me to get to but it's either nearly the same costs as at home or it's more expensive!

Asia is super cheap, I went to Thailand and Malaysia for a month a couple of years back and can't believe how cheap EVERYTHING is! Will deffinately be going back when I have a bit more cash! Australia and New Zealand are also on my list!

9. Re: Holiday Inspiration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 05, 2014