We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 2
Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

Ok, so all my friends are married with kids and go on family holidays now.....

I'm more than happy to go on holiday alone but I need some help, so ive listed what I would like and if anyone could suggest anywhere that would be great! Instead of just country names, If you have resort names also and town names that would be great.

1) Amazing white sandy beaches and bright blue sea

2) Not bothered about snorkelling/activities

3) I just want to lie on a gorgeous beach all day and read

4) As im solo I want to feel safe in the resort and surrounding area

5) Again, as im a solo I want to be able to watch decent tv at nighttime - obviously in English....

6) Nice town to walk around if I get bored sunbathing (I doubt it but ill put it on the list anyway)

7) I don't mind travelling 4-15 hours flight to get there

8) Wanting to go end of May 2014 time for 10 days

9) It needs to be hot hot hot!! I want a blumming great tan!!

This might sound like a terrible holiday to some folk but its my perfect holiday :)

15 replies to this topic
Glasgow, Scotland
reviews: 6
1. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

I would recommend Italy as a holiday resort, either Cattolica, or Lido Di Jesolo, both resorts are very similar

They have the beaches, and the resorts are very safe,

The hotels have tv in all rooms, some English channels, but I find it fun to watch Italian tv,

If bored, both resorts have plenty to see and for you to walk about, and here are other resorts near by, which you could visit

In and near to Cattolica, you have Riccione, and Rimini, and in the mountain San Marino

IN Lido Di Jesolo, your about a 45 min bus trip to Venice, get the bus to the port, and from the port to Venice, very lovely trip on the lagoon

Its about a 2hr journey time from the uk, and the weather at beginning of June is around mid 80's

One thing you haven't asked about was the food, and the food in Italy is scrumply delicious

Nottingham, United...
2. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

thanks for your reply Joe40....but them areas look abit busier than I want..... I literally want to be alone in paradise :P and they seem quite touristy spots...but keep coming with the suggestions :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
3. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

I guess some of it depends on your budget - Fiji, Cook islands - I know that can be pretty quiet - or find quieter places . . . Hawaii has some spots, Mexico would fit the bill in several areas I can think of and places in the Caribbean of course! :)

Nottingham, United...
4. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

My budget is around £1500 but I can go more if its a gorgeous paradise :)

Nottingham, United...
5. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

My budget is around £1500 but I can go more if its a gorgeous paradise :)

Which places in Mexico? And any suggestions for the Caribbean? Ill look at Fiji :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
6. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

Mexico really stretches the budget - we can do very cheap vacations there - and if you are on the eastern side - flying into Cancun, the beaches are stunning stretches of white with that turquoise blue water - though I don't know about English TV! :) My favorite beach in the area is Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres! http://wikitravel.org/en/Isla_Mujeres

I haven't been to Cuba, but would love to - maybe consider that.

May is part of low season, so you should get some good deals.

Aruba and the rest of the islands in the ABC chain are pretty much out of the hurricane belt, and I know it gets hot there.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
reviews: 25
7. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

I do solo beach vacations that are almost exactly what you have described; however, being based in the US (east coast), my travel options are quite a bit diffferent than yours. in terms of cost and time.(travel to the Caribbean is 4- 8 hours depending on connections, and I can usually get flights for $500 RT or less). I have no idea about the cost of flights from the UK, so without considering your budget, I would say that my favorite places for white sand beaches, gorgeous water, and quieter and less touristy beach vacations are 1) The Maldives (no town since most resorts are on a private island), and 2) several Caribbean islands including Turks & Caicos, Anguilla, and the Bahamas Out Islands (I've only been to Harbour Island). Aruba and Grand Cayman have pretty nice beaches and are safe islands for solo travelers, but they may be more touristy and busier than you want. I did a trip to T&C and Harbour island this May, and by choosing the cheapest room categories at mid-range resorts on or near the beach, my hotel-only costs averaged about $265/night. So, I think it will be very difficult for you to travel to these places and stay close to your budget., especially for a 10 night trip.

P.S. I completely understand wanting English language TV. IMany pf the English speaking Caribbean islands (definitely T&C and Bahamas) thave US TV (Miami stations) with tons of channels via cable or satellite. This was not the case when I travelled to Mexico (Isla Mujeres and Playa del Carmen).

Good luck!

London, United...
8. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

St Maarten in caribbean is a paradise for sandy beach and bright sky, they are well known for their beaches where you can enjoy more water sports. There are number of vacation rental homes in st maarten with gated community, most have all the basic amenities like DVD player for you to watch movies, internet connection, air conditioner, jacuzzi etc. Apart from beaches, <a href="tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g147346-St_Maarten_S…">st maarten</a> is a good place for shopping and night life.

Edited: 6:06 am, June 15, 2013
Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

I went to SCG last year sept alone. And I can easily say that i could check off all youre asking for on your list. I am going again april 25-May 2. the dates may change to start in may rather than april depending on the package i'm able to get.

Inbox me if you want more details

10. Re: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, March 08, 2014

Reply to: Solo traveller - Holiday help!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted