We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to stop bad tummys

UK
reviews: 6
How to stop bad tummys

Every year I go on holiday in summer for my 2 weeks I get a bad tummy, cramps, diahorra, sweats etc, happens without fail (apart from last 2 years when we've been to Orlando??).

It's only me out of our family (wife and 2 kids) who get it, I'm always careful with what I eat, using water etc. I've always just put it down to me having a "weak tummy".

It spoils mine (and the family really), holiday as can't leave hotel really, can't go on trips etc.

I try not to eat salads, no milk, eat food hot, use bottled water for everything, brushing teeth etc. don't drink much alcohol, not to much sun, good hygiene etc.

Anyone else suffer like me? What do they do? Anything I can do before going? I haven't had it for 2 years now as I said been to US. This year we're going to Spain and I'm getting worried again about it.

Cheers

13 replies to this topic
London, United...
1. Re: How to stop bad tummys

Look, honestly by the sound of it this has nothing to do with food, your problem is emotional and not physical, you should work on your psyche more then worrying about not eating salads, you are going to Spain this year and you're not going to eat all that beautiful organic food they naturally grow there? You're saying that the food you buy in Tesco's is healthier? I doubt it. Try to relax via doing some meditation, listening to some relaxing music, do some yoga or something that prepares you mentally more then physically, and I'm pretty sure that all your problems will be gone.

Good luck

UK
2. Re: How to stop bad tummys

Well maybe so but I was the same the last 2 years and was fine, so I don't think it was that.

I'm not scared of going, it's the only proper holiday I get, and once a year so look forward to it!!

Edited: 8:42 am, June 13, 2013
Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
reviews: 18
3. Re: How to stop bad tummys

Remember that it is not just "germs" that can cause these kinds of problems... Just eating types of food your system is not used to can cause problems for sensitive stomachs. For example, the tropical fruit Papaya is a natural laxative. I grew up in Florida and ate a lot of Papaya in my early years so my system has always been used to it but I have met several people who complained of having "Montezuma's Revenge" and assumed it was caused by eating tainted food of some kind. Turns out that thay had "discovered" Papaya and had eaten way too much of it for their system to tolerate.

So, don't be too adventurous in eating types of food your system is not used to. If there is something new/different on the table, just try a taste, not a big serving. If no bad effects, try a little more in a day or two. You should be fine.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
4. Re: How to stop bad tummys

I would recommend taking probiotics/acidophilus - I do this before we go to Mexico. I start taking acidophilus about 2 weeks before I go - and then daily while in Mexico. It just builds up the extra good bacteria in your digestive system. We have never gotten sick and I know that it helps. We are also careful with washing hands, drinking lots of water, etc.

Oh - and I have read about papaya as well as coconut causing the laxative effect, so tread cautiously. I usually do eat everything, though I do make take the usual food precautions - hot food hot, cold foods cold and fruits and veggies peeled, etc. I eat salads as well. I hope that helps! :)

Edited: 11:41 am, June 13, 2013
UK
5. Re: How to stop bad tummys

Heard about eating something to get good bacteria. Does it work?

I think it's exactly as above, it's just a have a sensitive stomach, eating different stuff, probably better when away actually, more fruit etc upsets it. But I want to try and stop it.

What are they what you take please? I'll try it and take away with me as you say

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
6. Re: How to stop bad tummys

I don't know about in the UK - I would go to a health food store or grocery store with health food section. You can buy 2 types - one has to be refrigerated, the other not and they are available in tablet form. Acidophilus is the good bacteria found in yoghurt, and yes, it does work. I have taken acidophilus at different times in my life for a various digestive issues - it is especially important to take after doing any antibiotics, as those kill off all the good bacteria in your intestines. You can also eat yoghurt every day, but not everyone is fond of yoghurt, so this is an easy solution and very portable for travel. I hope it helps you - I have been taking it off & on for over 30 years - do let me know! :)

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 280
7. Re: How to stop bad tummys

i always take, daily, probiotics..in the liquid form, has to be refrigerated...for sure.

but like said, you can take it in pill from. do you ever take the anit diarreah pills that are otc??

yes, don't be so eager to eat different foods, like said, taste.

too bad, i plan my trips around food!! and never have trouble, but i am a VERY healthy eater, and well, guess, pretty lucky. in morocco is the only time i had montezumas...BUT, i tried to eat every date and olive that i could get my hands on...my fault, hubby would tell me to stop eating them, nope, i wanted to eat them all...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
8. Re: How to stop bad tummys

Oh charley - that would be . . . eating all the olives and dates. To me, one of the biggest joys of travel is eating! :)

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 280
9. Re: How to stop bad tummys

yes, went a bit overboard..and i knew it..but , well, when will i be back.

also to the op..take papaya pills, i eat them after each meal. digestion.

reviews: 54
10. Re: How to stop bad tummys

Hi

TRAVELAN tablets.

Google them. Even look them up in Trip Advisor's search field. They get discussed a lot on Asian forums (e.g. Bali, Indonesia, etc, when people are looking for Bali Belly remedies).

They work for many, many people.

Many of us have found they even work if you just take them 'when you feel a bit dodgy' rather than before each meal as they suggest.

Reply to: How to stop bad tummys
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted