We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Edmonds, Washington
reviews: 2
Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Booked our LA area vacation rental through trip advisor. Paid and received a confirmation, including security code information from the owner.

Arrived at the residence at 2:30 a.m. after the flight from hell only to find that we'd walked in on an occupied property. Lovely finding a place to stay at 3:00 a.m. The owner claims he never received our reservation. Somebody has my money. He had no options for us. Never called us by the way, just sent emails. Nice enough guy, but no help--strike one for the first step in TripAdvisor's problem resolution strategy.

TripAdvisor has been NO HELP. In LA during Spring Break with no place to stay, no response. Not only do I need my money back, I need to know the guidelines for finding an alternate place to stay.

Peace of Mind is a huge joke. No live person to contact, only email addresses and no response. I trusted TripAdvisor in part because of the Peace of Mind guarantee. What a huge mistake.

Edited: 12:08 am, April 07, 2014
54 replies to this topic
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 154
1. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your rental problem. Horrible situation to arrive in the middle of the night and the owner not to honor your rental. You had a rental lease, right?

I honestly don't understand how the owner claims not to have received your information yet you received the security code from the owner.

As this is primarily a member-driven forum (I'm just a member like you), try contacting Tripadvisor Staff via this email: rentalsupport@tripadvisor.com

Silvia

Edmonds, Washington
2. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Syliva-

Thanks. I've been trying to contact staff, but no reply. Their 3-5 business day reply policy doesn't cut it when I'm down here with no place to stay with my family.

It is important for other travelers to know that on the off chance travel situations don't work out, they are stuck.

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
3. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Did you have a copy of the confirmation from the owner that you showed the owner?

Edmonds, Washington
4. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Yes. He asked to see it. He's been nice enough and apologetic. But he only has one property that's occupied.

As the renter, I'm still stuck with no customer support. If I wanted to be on my own, I would have rented via Craigslist.

Woking, United...
reviews: 16
5. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Sounds like a total nightmare :( Not that it helps you, but isn't the "Peace of mind guarantee" a reimbursement service that covers you "after" the fact under certain conditions? It doesn't offer telephone or online support or provide alternative accommodation does it? Just wondering if you're expecting anything like "right now" (which obviously you need) - seems from reading up on it that it's more of a "we'll give you your money back if xyz happens and you've taken out our protection" kinda thing...

Maybe someone who is fully aware of this scheme could elaborate then at least you can take action accordingly....

Whatever happens it sounds like a right mess and I hope you get something sorted.

Newton...
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
6. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Hi Jackiedog11,

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I escalated your forum post and email to our booking team who said they had already reached out to you today mid-day to help. In the online receipt for your booking in your rental inbox, the phone number for the booking team is displayed at the bottom, with their direct email address.

Kind Regards,

Jeanine

Edmonds, Washington
7. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

I did receive the message asking for additional details. We've done vacation rentals multiple times (through other services) and never had this experience. The owner seems genuinely perplexed about not receiving the payment that we have a receipt for sending.

I'm curious how long the reimbursement process takes--currently we're more than double-paying for our vacation.

Thanks, in advance, for a timely TripAdvisor resolution to this challenging situation.

Edmonds, Washington
8. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

This is how you advertise your peace of mind guarantee:

When you pay for rental listing through us, you can be confident that you’ll have the vacation you intend – a fun and carefree one. We invest in trust and safety so that you don’t have to. Enjoy some peace of mind when reserving a vacation home and concentrate on how much fun you will have on your vacation.

This has not been our experience at all.

London, United...
reviews: 5
9. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Hi..

Your situation sounds like a nightmare i had.

To be honest..i wouldnt put 100% trust in any company..never mind one that "promises" peace of mind...

What i would want answers to is why i recieved a security number from the owner...yet he didnt recieve my money or confirmation of a booking for his premises????

Why would he release a security number if this was the case?...Surely he wouldnt release this number to a company without a solid booking..therefore expecting you to arrive on said date??

Sounds very strange to me...like he excepted the booking/money but rented the property to someone else?...Maybe he got his dates wrong and rented the property without making a note of the dates you had booked....Or just chose to turn a blind eye to your booking?..

Im really sorry about your predicament...did you sort out accomodation?

Debs.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 154
10. Re: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!

Exactly what I asked in my first post, Debs, but the OP didn't respond: "I honestly don't understand how the owner claims not to have received your information yet you received the security code from the owner."

I too think that this is not an honest owner. He either double booked or simply found someone willing to pay him more for his rental and just rented it without regard to his previous rental agreement.

Silvia

Reply to: Peace of Mind Protection = USELESS!!!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted