We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants only open to guests staying at a resort

Chester, United...
reviews: 53
Restaurants only open to guests staying at a resort

Hi

The thread below raises an interesting question

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k62563…

Why are these restaurants which are only open to guests staying at a particular resort allowed their own listing on TA??? Surely they should be reviewed as part of the overall review of the resort itself

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
reviews: 164
1. Re: Restaurants only open to guests staying at a resort

They should not be permitted as "We list restaurants open to the general public" according to the listing criteria at http://www.tripadvisor.com/GetListedNew

I suppose unless someone can report it with a website showing it's not open to the public then TripAdvisor will probably give it the benefit of the doubt.

Apart from resort restaurants, one of the most inappropriate I've seen is on board a cross-Channel ferry tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186313-… - you have to be a paying ferry passenger to eat there. You can't just swim aboard! The ferry service itself is listed so the food review should go there. I reported this once as inappropriate and not open to the general public, but it was never removed.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
2. Re: Restaurants only open to guests staying at a resort

If I were in TA's shoes, I'd be tempted to make an exception for the restaurant on the ferry, on the theory that lots of people take the ferry, it's (presumably) fairly affordable, and it would be good to know if the food on board is any good. Having a restaurant listing might encourage people to write more reviews.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
reviews: 164
3. Re: Restaurants only open to guests staying at a resort

The ferry is actually listed as an attraction though tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186313-… My personal feeling is that comments about food should be included in reviews there as you cannot experience the restaurant without experiencing the ferry journey.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
4. Re: Restaurants only open to guests staying at a resort

I guess that, in my opinion, it boils down to the price of admission and how useful the information may be to travellers.For example, there are lots of restaurants at Disneyland. And there are also lots and lots of visitors to Disneyland (and Disneyworld etc.) In my opinion, it makes sense to list the restaurants in these major attractions because of the huge volume of visitors that the attractions get. On the other hand, there is a small amusement park just outside my destination; they have a few fast food stands, and (I think) one restaurant. The number of visitors is tiny compared to Disneyland, it's not a major attraction for the city, so it doesn't make much sense (IMO) for TA to list its restaurants.

Similarly, the volumes of people using these ferries every day are (I assume) pretty huge. So it would be helpful to travellers to list the restaurants even though you have to pay to get onto the ferry.

On the other hand, resorts' daily volumes are limited by the number of rooms at the resort. The largest hotel in my area, a fancy resort-ish hotel that operates year round, has 700 rooms. If they are at full occupancy, call that 1400 guests per day, So in their perfect fantasy world, where they have full occupancy every day, that would be roughly 500,000 guests per year. But of course this never happens, so let's call it more like 350,000 guests.

BC Ferries' newest ferries carry 1650 passengers per trip, and make roughly 8 trips per day. That gives an annual volume of 4.8 million guests.

Disneyland's most recent numbers are 16 million guests per year.

So this rough back-of-the envelope calculation suggests that resort restaurants (of the type that are limited only to guests) simply don't get the volume of visitors that would warrant TA making an exception for them, but Disneyland's numbers definitely do, and ferries may or may not warrant an exception, depending on the size of the ship and how many trips it makes.

I'd love to see TA members who are more familiar with all-inclusive resorts, and the ferry in question, to contribute their own back-of-the envelope calculations and opinions.

Edited: 1:24 pm, March 15, 2013
Chester, United...
reviews: 53
5. Re: Restaurants only open to guests staying at a resort

Hi C_W

To me the the guest volumes of AI's does not really come into it. If the restaurants, spa, etc are "guest only" they should not have a separate listing on TA. Any reviews of the restaurants should be included in the text of the review about the property itself

On the other hand with places such as Disney World which is an "attraction" with many franchised food outlets and the cover price as far as I am aware does not include food have no issue with the food outlets having their own listing

6. Re: Restaurants only open to guests staying at a resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 17, 2014