We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't the Tripadvisor app remember language preference?

Amsterdam
reviews: 234
Can't the Tripadvisor app remember language preference?

Every time I use the Tripadvisor app, it wants to show me reviews in Dutch first and everytime I change it to English first.

Is there no way it can remember my preferences?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 62
1. Re: Can't the Tripadvisor app remember language preference?

Hi Fredinasia,

I'm wondering if you could try the suggestion in Post 2 and let us know if that worked:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5201720-…

Thanks,

L4

Amsterdam
2. Re: Can't the Tripadvisor app remember language preference?

No, as far as I know you do not go to any specific website in an app so I can't change it.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 137
3. Re: Can't the Tripadvisor app remember language preference?

Are you using the iPad app? If so, the language selection of reviews doesn't stick. It appears to default to the language of your iPad. I just changed mine from English to Spanish and reviews in Spanish were listed first.

Silvia

Amsterdam
4. Re: Can't the Tripadvisor app remember language preference?

Thanks Silvia, yes I am talking about the iPad app.

Seems like you have the same problem, so strange for TA to decide for me what language I prefer cos usually the Dutch people who write Dutch reviews seem to have less in common with me than Dutch people writing English reviews.

And the machine translations seem to come back all the time also eventhough I tell the App/TA that I do not like them, hope they can solve this bug one day...

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 137
5. Re: Can't the Tripadvisor app remember language preference?

You're welcome! My iPad defaults to English, which even though is not my more tongue, it is the language we speak at home,

Regarding the auto translation, your choice is supposed to stick. Take a look at this post by TA_Jeanine:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5300100…

I will sned feedback to the Tripadvisor Mobile Team about the language of reviews. I actually prefer to set it to any, so I can always see the latest reviews regardless of languages. If you'd like to send feedback to, use this link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Pick Site & Features > Mobile App or Site

Silvia

PS: if you read reviews using the full site on Safari, I think the language selection for reviews does stick via a cookie.

Edited: 8:58 pm, February 17, 2013
Amsterdam
6. Re: Can't the Tripadvisor app remember language preference?

Thanks again.

About the auto translation, the problem really is about recognizing a previous visitor.

When I go directly to TA or use an old link, I will be automatically logged in, it remembers me cos of a cookie. But if I search on Google for a restaurant or hotel, and I click on that link, I will not be logged in and I will get Dutch language reviews first and auto translations. This is not the case for the app, this is just while browsing the net (I use Firefox).

But yes, please inform Tripadvisor Mobile Team, I would also like to set my language preference standard to "any" cos I speak many languages and it is always nicer to have the most recent reviews first.

7. Re: Can't the Tripadvisor app remember language preference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 19, 2014