We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

USA
reviews: 199
Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

"services such as classes or information services may be listed as resources but not as attractions." http://www.tripadvisor.com/GetListedNew

The yoga studio is categorized as "Classes/Workshops". You would not think this would even be an option.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 143
1. Re: Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

I think TA dropped that restriction for a while. You must have seen the many cooking classes that are now listed in some cities. Yet, classes and workshops is no longer a 'type of attraction'. Maybe those already listed are being grandfathered.

Silvia

USA
2. Re: Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

The yoga studio was listed within the last six months, I think, and is unlikely to have been grandfathered in.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

Take a look at the Type of Attractions available in the listing request form, hoogo. You'll see that there is no classes or workshops available.

Maybe the change occurred recently, and this yoga studio was grandfathered in.

Still, owners manage to get around and get new listing using incorrect categories for type of attraction. This one, listed quite recently, chose Health Clubs.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g317144-d3…

I don't disagree with Tripadvisor listing Yoga classes or any sports classes. Many travelers want to continue with the fitness program while on vacation.

Silvia

Edited: 12:37 pm, February 12, 2013
USA
4. Re: Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

I find "Classes/Workshops" in quotes as the first menu item for type of attraction. The other menu items are not in quotes. In one place TripAdvisor says you can register classes and in another place they say you can't. TA should get their story straight.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

I agree with that, hoogo. Consistency is paramount! Unfortunately, every time that TA changes a thing here and there, it's not necessarily reflected on all pages.

I see now that you weren't look at the listing request form from your first link. It is in the members' form that classes/workshops still shows up.

Silvia

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
6. Re: Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

I know of one yoga instructor that specializes in taking groups on a hike to a scenic destination, and then leading a yoga/meditation class. This is clearly traveller-oriented.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
7. Re: Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

>>I find "Classes/Workshops" in quotes as the first menu item for type of attraction. The other menu items are not in quotes.<<

I added something the other day and that was the first time I have seen that on the list.

Many of us complain about the inconsistency of TA rules & guidelines :-(

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
8. Re: Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

>>I know of one yoga instructor that specializes in taking groups on a hike to a scenic destination, and then leading a yoga/meditation class. This is clearly traveller-oriented.<<

That's something with a value-added component likely to be of specific interest to travellers so fair enough. In general though isn't yoga classes, etc, the sort of thing the Yellow Pages or equivalent is for?

9. Re: Why is a yoga studio listed as an attraction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 14, 2014