We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews sorted by publish date?

London
reviews: 74
Reviews sorted by publish date?

Hi there,

I have several pending reviews from places visited on a recent trip and I understand this is due to adding photos which require TA moderation and can take a few weeks to be published.

My query is how can I raise a suggestion with TA that reviews appear in order of date published rather than date written to give fair chance for new reviews to be read? If there are any publishing delays which are out of a reviewers control then if reviewing a popular place it is likely to appear on pages 4+ and not get read which feels a little frustrating.

I totally get the process and why it is needed but do feel that by being displayed in order of review date rather than published date can be unfair to the reviewer. As reviews display the date visited a change to display by published date would not be misleading and would be fairer to reviewers.

Would be interested to know thoughts on this :)

Best,

JojaTheGreek

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Reviews sorted by publish date?

Reviews are sorted by 'date submitted'.

Chester, United...
reviews: 45
2. Re: Reviews sorted by publish date?

Why is it unfair for them to be listed in date submitted order???

Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 93
3. Re: Reviews sorted by publish date?

There have been many suggestion that reviews should actually be sorted by date of visit rather than by submission date.

This would enable people to more easily find reviews for the season they are planning to visit - some places vary markedly in facilities and clientèle in off-season.

A side benefit would be to encourage reviews to be submitted promptly so that they appear on the first page rather than several pages down the list.

Photos can be submitted independently of reviews so can be added later to avoid slowing down review approval.

London
reviews: 74
4. Re: Reviews sorted by publish date?

Thanks for the information and your thoughts. There are pros and cons to any organisation methods and I'm sure that some would always prefer a different method, I was curious to hear what people felt about it so thanks for taking the time to reply. Also pointing out your views helps me to see that perhaps my original query and thoughts re possible unfairness were in themselves "unfair"!

Best regards,

JojaTheGreek

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 124
5. Re: Reviews sorted by publish date?

Actually, I totally agree that reviews should be ordered (I'm not talking about filters) by date of publication.

The date of submission is only relevant in my view in cases when the one-year deadline is close. But once accepted by TA, I fail to see the relevance of the date of submission.

Besides, the current ordering date (Reviewed on "date of submission") seems at odds with the guidelines. You can submit a new review for the same business 30 or 90 days after the date of publication of your previous review. Unless you have the patience of keeping a record, you don't really know when your review was published.

…custhelp.com/app/…subsequent

Silvia

6. Re: Reviews sorted by publish date?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 05, 2014