We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Postal Towns in UK

Broadland
reviews: 82
Postal Towns in UK

I wonder, does anyone at TA realise that in the UK we include the nearest major postal town as part of the address. This can mean that hotels, restaurants etc are listed under that town's name, when in fact they can be as much as 10 to 15 miles away.

This can be especially confusing if the postal town has a geographic area similar in name to the village.

I recently asked for a pub/restaurant to be listed in Chapelfield, Freethorpe, a village in its own right, and some 10 miles away from its postal Town of Norwich. It's listed under Norwich which coincidentally has an area called Chapelfields, so TA in its wisdom then lists a whole loads of 'nearby places' which are nowhere near.

I managed to get a second listing correctly entered NOT under Norwich. I've repeatedly asked TA to remove the Norwich listing but nothing has happened.

Chester, United...
reviews: 48
1. Re: Postal Towns in UK

As far as I am aware TA does have staff in the UK so they should be aware

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
reviews: 158
2. Re: Postal Towns in UK

The problem is due to the use of and interpretation of the word "city" on the listing form. Really, this should be treated as "destination".

On TripAdvisor when submitting a new listing, the trick is NOT to use the postal town as part of the address if the village itself has its own destination listing.

If I am submitting a new listing in a village, I always search first to see if the vilage is listed on TripAdvisor as a destination in its own right and if it is, I'll enter it as the "city" on the listing form to ensure it ends up in the correct place. If the village doesn't have its own destination listing, I'll put the nearest postal town as the "city".

Regarding the duplicate listing, have you tried using the new duplicate listing report form in the Help Centre because I've had more luck in getting duplicates removed since this was brought in a couple of months ago.

3. Re: Postal Towns in UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 16, 2014