We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

Hunter Valley, NSW
reviews: 21
Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

The dodgy owner of the place I reviewed emailed & said he was going to have my review deleted (I use my real name as a username & he matched it to the booking).

Everything in my review was accurate. I have bank statements to prove one of my facts & I have a medical certificate to prove another of my facts.

I'm not sure if I can really trust TA for advice if an owner can have a negative review removed when the review was completely accurate!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 28
1. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

TA only removes a review if it violates guidelines, or if you do not respond to emailed questions about it from TA.

BTW, did you create an additional user account to post the review? If so, 1 that is in violation of guidelines too. Only one account per user.

You can ask why it was deleted by asking for the status of your review from the account it was created: www.tripadvisor.com/userreviewsupport

Give them a week to reply.

Noah

Edited: 1:51 am, December 22, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
2. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

Hi skyebrand ~

Is this the same review you were posting about recently about the nature of the management response? or another review? I remember one though and it's not in your collection now. I think I was one of several (on your other thread) who suggested you just leave it there and leave the management response there, as it would say a lot about the owner.

So your real name is Skye Brand and your user name is skyebrand and that's how the owner identified you? Is that correct?

If I remember the review and the management response, I can see the owner disputing your review by giving who knows what reason. But that in itself has no bearing on whether a review gets removed or not. The only thing you can do is use the blue print link in the post above. From the first drop down menu choose "Status of my review" and from the second drop down menu choose "Not listed." Try to write your message with clarity and in a reasoned way. The temptation is to get hot under the collar. You can also mention that the owner emailed you. Owners are not to do that in a hostile way.

You will have to be patient for an answer. It is the time of year when staff take time off. Because (our) next Tues and Wed will likely have few TA staff working, as well as Jan 1st, I would even guess you might not hear back until perhaps the 3rd. But always a pleasant surprise if it is sooner.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 4
3. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

I have removed ALL of my reviews and I also want to remove ALL of my pictures. Kindly provide me with the link to do so as I will not be helping TA from this day forward. TA has little or no regard for me so why should I have any for them.

Suggestion, Train the people a little better that *review* reviews and maybe hire someone with some expertise in this area.

UK
reviews: 84
4. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

I have removed ALL of my reviews

====== You seem to have 4 left :-)

Kindly provide me with the link to do so as I will not be helping TA from this day forward.

======== And TA's incentive to help you given that statement is what, exactly?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 62
5. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

Hi Gillian-Linard,

The forums are primarily member-driven and I'm a volunteer and not a TA staff member. I'm also responding to the details you gave on the HUMTAB Forum.

To request closing your account, click on the link and then choose the following from the drop-downs:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/GeneralSupport

Sign in and registration > I need help closing my account

As long as a review meets guidelines, it will be posted. It can take from a day or so to two weeks for a review to be published to the site. Sometimes the auto-filters put a review aside for a staff member to check (guidelines) and these can take a couple of weeks depending on workload.

You said your review was flagged. We've had the occasional person not know what could have caused this to happen (what guideline issue it could be). We've encouraged people to post the review if they want feedback on why that could have happened.

Sometimes reviews aren't posted as people have failed to respond to a randomly-sent email but that's not the case with you.

Sorry you've had a negative experience.

Regards,

L4

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 1
6. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

Same situation here, I didn't know if I should create a new topic... Anyway, I posted my first review last week, a bad review to warn people about a place in Thailand I stayed at. I signed up on tripadvisor and I posted it especially because I saw only perfect reviews for the place, which I think are fake (since I stayed there). Now that I see my review deleted (without any explanation or notification) I understand why it has only good reviews. I guess the owner asks tripadvisor to delete all bad reviews, which is crazy and very unexpected from a review website I thought I can rely on. And so we have been screwed because we went there "because" of tripadvisor and the eventually fake reviews! I am really mad and I really want my review to be back, but I wonder if I'll ever post reviews again on a website I expected to be impartial but that ends up being "corrupted".

7. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, December 24, 2012
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
8. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

G-L

>> what I may or may not do is none of your business. <<

Since you're posting on a public forum, asking for advice from members, you are making *your* business become other members' business.

>> I want to remove all of the pictures I have posted on TA as I do not want TA using them to promote their website in any way. <<

www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewSupport

This page has a drop-down menu choice of "Remove my photo"

I hope that me taking an interest in assisting you with your TripAdvisor business has not offended you in some way. Good luck in your participation on other non-TA forums.

================

JohnSmithTraveler ~ yes, it's usually better to ask a new question. But I suggest you ask TA_Staff about your review using the same UserReviewSupport contact page. Just ask.

>> I guess the owner asks TripAdvisor to delete all bad reviews <<

Your review was not removed because a business asked for it to be removed. Owners would **LOVE** to have that power, but they do not.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
9. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

<<Since you're posting on a public forum, asking for advice from members, you are making *your* business become other members' business. >>

Nope. Not other members' business at all. We should either give advice if we can so that the OP can carry on, or move on to another thread. If we find it necessary to "challenge" a poster, it really is time to move to another thread.

My 2 cents.

UK
reviews: 84
10. Re: Grrrr! Review deleted - no notification & no explanation!

Nope. Not other members' business at all. We should either give advice if we can so that the OP can carry on, or move on to another thread.

------ the OP said they had removed all their reviews, at that point, they were still there. Any in any case, you can't post ona public forum and then complain if people comment ! ( you can complain *about* the comment though :-)

If we find it necessary to "challenge" a poster, it really is time to move to another thread.

-------- what about pointing out issues or errors with the OP's post? Are you saying these should not be mentioned? (These can of course be subjective, you may disagree it was such)

Specifically, as an exact example, In the air travel forum, (but this applies to any company not just airlines), it's often pointed out to posters that their rant which goes along the lines of " I'm never going to use your stinking airline again and I want you to do <something>(such as refund money, pay compensation etc) " is likely to be counter-productive in getting the <something> from the airline, because what's their incentive?

Edited: 1:57 am, December 23, 2012