We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

USA
reviews: 146
Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Ten or more local restaurants, out of 83 total, have pictures credited to "Photos from around the world" that were not there a week or two ago. Do you find "Photos from around the world" in your areas, too?

On the plus side, they are not labeled as traveler photos (like the VFM Leonardo professional photos). They are also not very professional looking. On the minus side, some are suspect. This restaurant shows off street parking that wasn't there last week: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37816-d52…

This restaurant's photo does not match their website's photos: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37816-d90… There may be a secret back room that I don't know about.

Other restaurants show photos of food that may or not be accurate. Can anyone shed light on this sudden influx of "Photos from around the world"?

146 replies to this topic
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 271
121. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

>>> I've also noticed that TA is reacting very quickly to photos that have been reported using the "Wrong location" reason

Pity it’s not the same when the photos are submitted by TA members to wrong locations.

Say, an ignorant local has attached photos of the newly built but interesting for its location St. Nicolas Wondermaker Church on The Water to the TA listing of a historically important Christ Nativity Church.

Here’s the REAL Christ Nativity Church: http://tinyurl.com/aterjyn

Here’s the REAL St. Nicolas Wondermaker on The Water: http://tinyurl.com/ajwmacz

And here’s the TA listing of the Nativity Church with the photos of Nicolas on the Water attached to it: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294474-d3…

Despite my several reports this has never been changed :( Could it be because these are not the «photos from around the world»?

Pfff! And I just noticed that it's location on the map is absolutely wrong, too.

Edited: 1:55 pm, February 10, 2013
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 271
122. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Sorry, that was "its" location" of course..

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 64
123. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Just a little bit of follow up. As has been noted on a different thread, TA are now following up on reports of PFAW images that are posted to the wrong location, or have other issues, quite quickly. In my experience, these issues are currently taking 24 hours or less to resolve--if they are reported now. If you reported them a few weeks ago, the new system doesn't seem to have caught up with old reports yet. You may want to try reporting them now with the new system.

I received two emails from TA today to tell me that "Your photo has been selected to represent a destination on Tripadvisor!!" This is a step in the right direction too, in my opinion, and may encourage people to submit photos for listings that currently have incorrect photos or none at all.

And finally, the advice that TA_Jeanine gave in post #106 seems to be working well; if you have a better photo than a dubious PFAW, report the PFAW, wait for it to be removed, and then submit your own photo. It will be the new main photo in a few days.

Edited: 10:42 pm, February 13, 2013
USA
124. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

I reported some improper photos multiple times and did not wait until they were removed before submitting replacements. A photo I reported back on post #4 may have taken 6 weeks to be removed. I have a bunch of photos that have not yet been accepted.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
125. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

>>I received two emails from TA today to tell me that "Your photo has been selected to represent a destination on Tripadvisor!!" This is a step in the right direction too, in my opinion, and may encourage people to submit photos for listings that currently have incorrect photos or none at all.<<

That's nice. It would have encouraged me once upon a time.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 685
126. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

>> I received two emails from TA today to tell me that "Your photo has been selected to represent a destination on Tripadvisor!!" <<

That is an excellent move on TA's part. Hopefully they'll keep sending those notices out and it will encourage members to submit more. I haven't submitted any photos for a bit because it hasn't stopped raining here for I-don't-know-how-many-days!

USA
127. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

If my bookkeeping is correct, photos for thirteen establishments that I submitted between January 22 and February 1 have not yet been approved. Two weeks is too long. I can't believe the authenticity is in doubt, most show the establishment's sign.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 64
128. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

If you can still be bothered, try reporting one or two of those photos again; it really does seem to work much more quickly with the new reporting system.

I wouldn't blame you, though, for just letting TA look like a bunch of goofs who put up the wrong photos.

Bangkok, Thailand
129. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Yeah especially when you see your pictures being used for companies having a 2.5 score average

130. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:51 pm, August 21, 2013

Reply to: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted