We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

USA
reviews: 236
Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Ten or more local restaurants, out of 83 total, have pictures credited to "Photos from around the world" that were not there a week or two ago. Do you find "Photos from around the world" in your areas, too?

On the plus side, they are not labeled as traveler photos (like the VFM Leonardo professional photos). They are also not very professional looking. On the minus side, some are suspect. This restaurant shows off street parking that wasn't there last week: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37816-d52…

This restaurant's photo does not match their website's photos: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37816-d90… There may be a secret back room that I don't know about.

Other restaurants show photos of food that may or not be accurate. Can anyone shed light on this sudden influx of "Photos from around the world"?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

On the Vancouver forum, I can see a separation between Professional Photos - which invariably go to hotels.com and create a popunder, which is really irritating. The visitors' photos ripple along through guests' photos, with VFM Leonardo's photos at the end of the lot. I did see some Photos around the world. So they don't seem to be Leonardo by a different name. Not sure what's going on.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 99
2. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

There doesn't seem to be a company by that name as far as I can see on Google.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

A bit of investigation via way of Google image search discovers the image of 'Lunardis' is also attached to a blog entry reviewing Trattoria Tiramisu - Bettendorf, IA, …typepad.com/a_salesguys_guide_to_the_/2011/… The blog entry does have a passing reference to Lunardis.

The Trattoria Tiramisu's TA entry also has a correct "Photos from around the world" picture which could have come from the same blog entry, The Tiramasu's own website doesn't have many interior pictures but they are not the same as the one on the blog/Lunardis TA page

This case appears to be similar to the 'Photos provided by management' problem where unrelated photos were being passed of as management photos tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k57640…

Edited: 11:30 am, December 14, 2012
USA
4. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Boozie's has a picture of a competitor, Governor's: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37816-d45…

TA has the wrong Uncle Bill's for these photos: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37816-d11…

TripAdvisor might as well quit checking user submitted photos, too.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Perhaps the clue is in the name, we can expect to see Photos from around the world attached to listings.

Maybe we should start a competition to find the mist inappropriate photo that has been associated with a listing - the prize could be a TA luggage tag!

Start looking out for churches with pictures of strip joints and Alaskan bars set on Hawaii beaches!

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 321
6. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Lots of these in Ukraine listings. Some of a very poor quality. The others more or less ok.

Looks to me rather like someone from TA (? googles and?) adds them than members submit themselves.

USA
7. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

A second Happy Joe's has the wrong photo. The building should be red brick: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37816-d24…

Some of the restaurants show two identical "Photos from around the world" labeled as visitor photos. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37816-d33…

These errors are from a city with population of just 100,000. What secret algorithm did TripAdvisor use to add this huge cache of incorrect photos to its website?

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Both of those photos also appear on the Quad City Times site (for different, presumably correct, locations): http://qctimes.com/app/goanddo/dining/restaurants/?itemID=3&t=Happy_Joe's_Pizza_and_Ice_Cream_%7C_1412_30th_Street,_Rock_Island,_IL and qctimes.com/app/goanddo/dining/restaurants/… .

My bet is that the "secret algorithm" is an intern spending a lot of time in Google Image Search, though maybe they've automated that somehow.

I'm curious whether that process/person arranges copyright clearance. The lack of attribution is very weird -- the most widely-used Creative Commons licenses on the web require attribution, and generally speaking licensing a photo to be used without crediting the photographer is much more expensive -- way too expensive to be cost-effective to use for random restaurant listings.

USA
9. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Copyright? You will find that TripAdvisor asks that you credit them for using the photos.

"Want to use this image?

"Please copy & paste this embed code onto your site: [I omit the embed code.]

"About the embed code

"TripAdvisor images may only be used with attribution back to TripAdvisor. Using the TripAdvisor embed code renders the image with an attribution line that satisfies this requirement.

"In addition, by using the embed code, you reduce the load on your web server, because the image will be hosted on the same worldwide content delivery network TripAdvisor uses instead of your web server."

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: Where did the "Photos from around the world" come from?

Good point. And yet I'd be very surprised if TripAdvisor has acquired rights to all these photos that are perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, and sub-licenseable, with no attribution (to the original photographer/site) required. In my experience, a professional would charge an exorbitant fee to grant such rights; one would hope amateurs wouldn't be naive enough to sign them away for free.

Any owners/photographers of "Photos from around the world" pictures who stumble across this thread should read tripadvisor.com/pages/copyright_complaint.ht… for instructions on how to notify TripAdvisor if your copyright has been infringed.

Edited: 1:09 pm, December 15, 2012