We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mysteriously vanished review

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Mysteriously vanished review

I have complained three times to the support at Trip Advisor as I discovered one of my reviews to be "missing" -- and several other guests at the same hotel made exactly the same, serious complaints. I have sent emails asking for an investigation to content_integrity@tripadvisor.com regarding this review that has mysteriously disappeared, but no one can provide a satisfactory answer.

Furthermore, no one from Trip Advisor will respond or look into the situation. Here is the only email form email that I received, despite several requests for the situation to be escalated. Why won't anyone figure out what has happened? It is dishonest to remove negative reviews of preferred TripAdvisor advertisers!

Thank you for contacting TripAdvisor.

>

> I am unable to locate a review in our database. If you may have used another e-mail address to submit your review, please reply to this e-mail with that e-mail address and I will be happy to search the database again.

>

>

> Best Regards,

> Jesselyn

> TripAdvisor Support Team

>

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
Level Contributor
60,339 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

Hi AussieTraveler75;

You obviously have TA staff's attention. I would suggest that you reply to the email.

Best Regards

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

Hi Destination Expert, thanks for your thoughts, but I did reply to TA support staff FOUR times, but no answer. I said: "no I don't have another email address and I am certain I submitted the review under this address":

So no that is not the problem... but no one will respond to subsequent requests for further investigation into this matter!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
41,138 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

AussieTrav ~

Do you have more than one user account? If you have other emails, I would suggest you submit them to TA so that they can investigate them. You never know.

Did you see the review in your contributions as pending? Did you see your review posted on the listing?

They have told you that they do not have a record of your review in the data base from your email address. If you do not have other email addresses that you could have mistakenly used, if you didn't mistakenly submit under another user name, if you did not see the review in pending, if you did not see the review posted on the listing, then there is no further investigation to be done.

UK
Level Contributor
47,730 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

and several other guests at the same hotel made exactly the same, serious complaints.

============

Complaints about the hotel or complaints about missing reviews? In either case, how do you know?

Also, could you have submitted by mistake using a different logon? Perhaps you used a computer at the hotel that was already logged onto TA ?

Assuming not, I suggest you re-enter your review making absolutely sure that you are logged on as you, and take a screen shot just before clicking submit and then of your contributions page where it should be shown as pending immediately after submission.

Edited: 2:09 am, December 13, 2012
UK
Level Contributor
47,730 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

p.s what is the place in question?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
40,859 posts
928 reviews
6. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

>> It is dishonest to remove negative reviews of preferred TripAdvisor advertisers! <<

This is a rather interesting statement . . . do you own a hotel that is in competition with the subject hotel?

TripAdvisor does not remove reviews except if they are reported and are determined by TA staff as being inappropriate and/or not following guidelines.

>>and several other guests at the same hotel made exactly the same, serious complaints.<<

I'm puzzled by your meaning here?

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

Ok, so I am not affiliated with any hotels or businesses. I am just a person who had a complaint about a place I stayed. So I posted a review, which I thought even though it was negative, provided some suggestions for improvement. The review was posted, and I saw it online in 2011. So I know it posted. But in 2012, I noticed some advertising for the same hotel (I was planning to go back to the same destination but staying in a different place this time). So I clicked on the hotel to see what their "special offer" was on Trip Advisor. I looked through some of the comments and noticed a few other negative reviews along the same lines as the things I had complained about . But in the list of reviews, I couldn't find mine. Strange. So I took it up with Trip Advisor. But no response, except for a form letter saying I used a different email address. Sorry, but I only have one TripAdvisor account and one email linked to it. So I posted another review of the same hotel and that too has mysteriously disappeared as well. So now I have removed myself from TripAdvisor because there is something really fishy going on here. I don't trust TripAdvisor at all. Someone told me that there are fake reviewers, and I am willing to believe that. But to remove someone's genuine review? TWICE???? Without consulting me or asking for a verification of my identity, address or some other means of checking that I am a real person. And furthermore, not notifying me EITHER TIME? Two reviews mysteriously vanished. Now that is simply suspcious. So this will be my last post, because I am no longer on TripAdvisor.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
Level Contributor
31,079 posts
163 reviews
8. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

"So I posted another review of the same hotel and that too has mysteriously disappeared as well. " That review was probably passed the 12-month review limit.

Yes, I agree with you. It is a problem when members are not notified that a review is being removed--for whatever reason. At least if we were notified, we could resubmit immediately and stay within the time limits.

It has happened to me (same review, a couple of times, a few years back) until I finally wrote it in a way that stuck and was not taken down. Mind you, it was a five dot excellent review of a hotel two hours away from my home.

Silvia

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

Silvia, thanks for your comments. I did go back to the same destination and I stayed at a different hotel, and enjoyed myself much more this time.

When I reposted the second review, I don't think I put the 2011 dates. I think I put 2012 dates since it won't let you post reviews more than a year old.

But doesn't it make you wonder: this hotel is a preferred Trip Advisor advertiser? So do they in some way have control over their reviews? There are some really "fake" sounding reviews of that hotel, I mean people just don't say that kind of stuff!

It was a hotel that really mistreated their staff. Honestly, one of the managers yelled/insulted/swore at female employees in front of guests. That is just wrong. Trip Advisor should let us post that kind of stuff so management know it isn't acceptable. As a guest with young children, it made me as uncomfortable as the staff, and I don't want my kids seeing that kind of behavior.

10. Re: Mysteriously vanished review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 23, 2014