We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

legitimacy of listing

Austin, Texas
legitimacy of listing

How can I know if a site listed under Trip Advisor is legitimate? Is there a way to contact Trip Advisor directly to find out?

UK
reviews: 87
1. Re: legitimacy of listing

What do you mean by "a site" and what do you mean by "legitimate" ?

Are you enquiringly if for example a particular hotel is real or its been made up to take money fraudulently and all its reviews also fake, or are you asking something different to that ?

Edited: 4:49 pm, November 23, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 28
2. Re: legitimacy of listing

TA doesn't guarantee anything on the Site. However if the knew a business didn't exist, they wouldn't list it.

I'm curious what you think TA would tell you. Seriously. If there was a problem about a fake business being listed, and they didn't know about it... There would not be anything to tell.

Everyone needs to do their own research to their satisfaction.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 52
3. Re: legitimacy of listing

Irina ~

Almost all "sites," by which I mean restaurants and hotels/B&Bs, have been submitted to TA for listing on the website. They have addresses, and can be mapped. They should be able to be found with a Google search and in most cases you can click to the independent website. They can also be seen on street view on Google Maps. TA runs those submissions by their listing criteria. I have no idea how TA checks out the details of a "site."

Attractions also get checked by TA before being listed.

Once the "sites" are listed on TA, they stay in place until the business or attraction is closed. If a business is sold, the new owner can request old reviews to be removed.

I don't think TA would have a definitive answer for you as to whether a listing is legit or not. They take suggestions from members like you and me and they have listing criteria to measure the suggestions against. They do not go out to the location to check things out in person. For the most part, listings on TA are legit. As with anything, there may be a few that are something other than how they are listed, e.g. multi day tours instead of day tours, sailboats wrongly listed as B&Bs, things like that. As usual, good research and common sense is required before taking everything at face value. And most of all, asking on the appropriate destination forum for clarification and advice about a listing before travelling.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: legitimacy of listing

Vacation Rentals are listed via FlipKey. Holiday Rentals are listed via Holiday Listings UK.

5. Re: legitimacy of listing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 16, 2013