We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*BUG* Traveller Article History

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 71
*BUG* Traveller Article History

If I click on a past version of a Traveller Article in the Article History link, the article appears with a box superimposed on it to "Create Your Own" - ie. write a new Traveller Article. That box has a "Close this box" link, but it doesn't work, and the box can't be moved, so the article can't be read properly.

The "Close this box link" needs to be fixed.

Luigi

Eastleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 93
1. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

I see the same problem - the box appears in the middle of the article and you need to scroll down to see it.

I tend to use the compare two versions option rather than viewing selecting a past version because many changes are too subtle to be easily spotted without computer assistance.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
2. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

For what it's worth, I don't see this when using TripAdvisor.ca. BUT it has been a long time since this feature actually worked; for a year or more, the version displayed is not actually an earlier version, but the current one.

This feature is most useful when someone has done extensive editing of the article. That's because the "compare versions" tool may have the text too broken up in the combined before & after view, while the separate "before" and "after" windows may be too small for easy reading of the article.

Edited: 10:57 am, November 22, 2012
Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
3. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

Yes, CW. That's exactly why I wanted to use it. We have a rollback battle between two opposing forces and I wanted to rewrite the article so it contained BOTH sets of content. The only way I could do that is through History. But it's a bit hard to read with a text box frozen over the top of it!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
4. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

I'm not seeing it on .com

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
5. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

This is the Traveller Article I'm talking about (on TA.com): www.tripadvisor.com/mgo-g504312-d1994837…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
6. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

I worked through that forum independently to get to History > version 13 and yes that happens to me as well. I tried a Trav Article of mine, chose an older version and same thing.

How do you want to use "version 13?" Just a reference for doing your editting? You can't play with it at all. What I would do with that, Luigi, and using the example you give of wanting to use Version 13, would be to choose 13 and either 12 or 14 then compare. Then I would copy and paste the target one into a word doc to play with it. Just a thought.

The bug is still there though.

Edited: 12:00 am, November 23, 2012
Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
7. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

As I said in post #3, I just wanted the exact content of an older article. So I could copy&paste and put it in a new version, Mufti. I've already done it, but it would have been easier if the box could be made to vanish. I'm trying to do a version that neither warring party can complain about. (see the Comments).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
8. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

Aaah, I see. Sorry, #6 was too little, too late.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
9. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

Luigi, that is a totally different page than I've ever seen before, and I just edited a Traveler Article yesterday!

I have a very bad feeling TripAdvisor is hard at work changing the T/A pages to make them harder to use and work with . . . AKA "improving" them :-(

I hate it when the techies / site designers do that.

............sigh...........

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
10. Re: *BUG* Traveller Article History

h-B, to me that looks like an *old* design, namely, the one that was used when the Traveller Articles were first introduced.

I strongly suspect it's a glitch.

Edited to add: Just compared the URL to another Traveller Article's URL. See that "mgo" string in there? Pretty sure it's a page generated by Edit and not accessible otherwise.

Edited: 2:27 am, November 23, 2012