We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*BUG* Recent conversations broken

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 94
*BUG* Recent conversations broken

There appears to be new feature at the bottom of Forum threads labelled 'Recent Conversations' which appears to be links to recent threads however on all the ones I have tried it results in 404 not found links (Hi, that page just went on holiday)

I am not yet sure if this is a useful (if it worked) addition to forum pages or even more clutter

It also introduces yet more terminology to help confuse users, why introduce 'Conversations' for what everyone refers to as Threads and what is labelled 'Topics' on the forum top page

Chester, United...
reviews: 53
1. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

I was just about to post the same thing and also to ask who came up with the idea to add this functionality

The list only appears when you have a thread open so why would I want to open another thread when I already have one open - have I missed something???

Or is it simply meant to be a way of skipping to another thread once you have posted a reply and looked at the thread you have opened???

Edited: 5:18 pm, November 19, 2012
Newton...
reviews: 13
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
2. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

Hi mymsman and FFM,

Yikes, will escalate this, thanks for reporting this! I wonder if this is just on non-destination forums? I did a quick look and it looks like this is working on others.

Thanks!

Jeanine

Essex
reviews: 71
3. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

Oh yes!!

Recent Conversations is there, but it's so far down the page I did'nt notice until now....

Jury's out as to whether this will be a useful addition or not, in EW land!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 787
4. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

Having spent about an hour on TA in the forums tonight - to me the jury is back!

Sorry, TA. This is a miss, IMO :-(

1. It does not let me know which topics I've already read and/or answered, so I still have to go back to the main page.

2. It does not tell me who is the author, or how many posts are on each thread.

3. To me it just adds clutter to be ignored.

I have gotten quite used to the "You recently viewed" stuff at the bottom of the page and that was IMO a *massive* improvement over the glaring, garish "raving" in the top right corner. It's a very convenient location and still nice and, well, tidy. Good job on that change. Yes I know it's been there awhile but I'm trying to reinforce the helpful changes, LOL ;-)

Edited: 9:20 pm, November 19, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
5. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

This feature seems a cosmetic and frivolous addition.

Chester, United...
6. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

When working at best it would sometimes save you one click

Again I would urge TA to concentrate their efforts more on the many items that need to be fixed or good ideas that have been suggested on the HUMTAB forum rather than developing things that we have not asked for

Even sadder is that when this was launched it does not work

I think it is time to have a look at "The List" again and perhaps have some suggestions gift wrapped for Christmas

Edited: 4:56 am, November 20, 2012
Newton...
7. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

Thanks mymsman and all,

The "Recent Conversations" links in non-destinations forums will be working correctly on Monday, thanks again for reporting this. Thanks too for your general feedback which I've passed to the folks in charge of this feature, and suggested they watch this thread.

Cheers,

Jeanine

Chester, United...
8. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

Jeanine

What was TA's logic for adding the functionality???

Newton...
9. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

Hi FFM,

This feature sounds like our site editors testing ways to improve the user experience. They do tests all the time and this seems like one of them.

Jeanine

Chester, United...
10. Re: *BUG* Recent conversations broken

Jeanine

Thanks for the information

It would be nice if those same site editors could pop into this forum now and again and explain their rationale for a new feature they are testing