We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"tripwow" and Facebook

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
"tripwow" and Facebook

I do NOT have a Facebook account. I never have had one, and I never will. But I was recently on a trip through Greece. Upon returning home, I created a "tripwow" with my pictures. I have done this before on two previous trips. All three times, I get comments on the thread on the TA forum where I posted it. And also, all three times, I get comments from random strangers in my "inbox" from people that I don't know. Their full name is listed, "Joe Smith" has left a comment about your tripwow. There is also a picture of the person, not your typical avatar that you would see on Trip Advisor forums. There is a button to reply to them. I am never able to reply as it requires that you log in to Facebook. Not a big deal, and it has never bothered me much.

But today, I got another comment in my "inbox", NOT the TA thread, and this woman made the comment that she hoped I would do a trip report about where we stayed. While I was in Greece, I did indeed do "live" trip reports, five of them, from Athens, and the four different islands we visited. But I can not reply to her at all and let her know how to find the reports.

How are these people accessing my tripwow, if not through trip advisor? And is there any way for me to reply to her without joining Facebook? The full name is always given, but it is no one I recognize. I don't recognize the person in the picture either.

Any ideas?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

J0an ~

It's just plain scarey how these internet connections are made. Whether you know it or like it or want it or not.

TripWow is really a sideshow to TA. You can't access it through the TA website list of forums and it doesn't connect to your TA user name in the way we would normally send a PM.

There has to be something built in to TripWow that allows people to "find" your user name and contact you in same way PMs work.

Sorry I don't have any other idea.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 63
2. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

Hi J0an123,

The forums are primarily member-driven, peer-to-peer and I'm a member like you and not a TA staff member.

We'll see if anyone else on this forum has an answer to your question. However, I did wonder if you've posted to the TripWow Support page:

http://tripwow.tenderapp.com/discussions

I hope you're able to find an answer for your question.

L4

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
3. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

Lucky,

Do you use your same user name to post on that board or do you need a new user name? (I'm thinking a Cruise Critic kind of thing)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
4. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

Sorry, Mufti, but I just don't know anything about TripWow.

J0an123, I'd suggest that you post your question on the TripWow forum.

L4

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
5. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

I just looked at a question on that link you provided. Once you have done your TW, you are asked to register using either FB or an email and password to create an account.

Still no insight about how someone from TripWow can send a message to your email inbox. I hope one's email address is not released to TripWow viewers!!

FWIW, J0an, Frommy did a TripWow and this Forum is one he reads from time to time. If he comes along, maybe he could clarify this to a greater extent.

Edited: 11:33 pm, October 24, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
6. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

I suspect "inbox" (because it's written with quotations), means the TA PM as the OP posted the TripWow photos on a TA forum.

L4

Nanaimo, Canada
7. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

I am trying to remember now, what I did when I made the tripwow.

When it is finished, I go to the Trip Advisor forum that I want to post it under, this time the Greece forum. I went to the Cyclades forum, clicked on "ask a question", then I said stuff like "here's my tripwow from our trip to Greece. It's about 14 minutes long, so grab a glass of wine, ouzo or whatever, blah blah blah", and then

I just did a "cut and paste" of the tripwow.

I can't remember specifically now, but I am pretty sure I gave my e-mail address and had to use a password. That way I get notification that it has been viewed 5 times already, just need 5 more views. When there have been 10 views, they send another notification that it is now ready for me to download. These all go to my personal e-mail "inbox".

But I still can not figure out how these people would know what my e-mail address is, or how they contact me.

I shall check out that link next!

Thanks for the ideas.

Nanaimo, Canada
8. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

Luckyfour, looked at the link, and when I went to ask my question, it wanted an e-mail address. I decided not to do that after just having a talk with my daughter! My daughter, who does have a Facebook account, explained this to me. The e-mails I am receiving in our "in box" are from Tripwow. The subject line shows the person's full name, saying "Joe Smith" left a comment about your tripwow. They actually do NOT know our e-mail address. They are somehow commenting on it through the tripwow website, and then tripwow is forwarding it to me. Cripes, does this make any sense???? I still don't know why they would choose to comment on it through Facebook rather than just hitting the reply button on the trip advisor forum where I posted it in the first place....

But either way, I can not reply to them at all without joining Facebook.

So, I don't need to lose any sleep over this!

Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
9. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

You're welcome. Maybe the email address was to log in? In any event, at least you know where you can ask a question or you can look at their Knowledge Base if you want to know more about how they all interact.

No, they would not give out your email address; I thought it would be similar to here where you get a notification.

Cheers,

L4

Greater Sydney...
reviews: 33
10. Re: "tripwow" and Facebook

"Frommy did a TripWow and this Forum is one he reads from time to time. If he comes along, maybe he could clarify this to a greater extent."

I have posted three TripWow's, but quite a few years ago. I would not have a clue to the answer. I did the same as J0an (~waves~) by creating the TW and then patching the link to TA. I do recall that I had some messages about comments through TA made by viewers of the TW, but did not take much notice of them.

Hey J0an, no Portuguese tarts in Greece. :)

Edited: 9:16 am, October 25, 2012