We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My hotel seems to been given advance notice

key west
reviews: 29
My hotel seems to been given advance notice

I submitted a very poor review of the hotel I am staying in. My review was published at 12:49 pm on April 1.

However, on March 31, a day before the review as published, the hotel manager called me and left a message that he wanted to meet with me about my review.

Why was the hotel given my contact information and why did they get an advance copy?

Chester, United...
reviews: 56
1. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

Hi

How do you know your review was published at 12:49 pm on April 1

If that was the date and time on an e_mail from TA please note that there can be a time lag between the reviews being published and you get the e_mail

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 154
2. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

"Why was the hotel given my contact information and why did they get an advance copy?"

Tripadvisor does not give businesses contact information of reviewers. But you described your room in great details in your review. It is not that difficult for a manager or an owner to figure out which room it is!!!!

Businesses do not get advanced copies of reviews. In the past, if you were a Facebook friend of a business, yes, it was possible for a business as well as all your other FB friends to see a review while it was pending approval--I don't know if this is still true.

Your review is dated March 30. Quite likely it was published the following day, March 31, and not on April 1st. As FFM mentioned, the time when a review is published and the time you get a notification email are not the same. It can take a day or two before you're notified by email.

Silvia

Essex
reviews: 71
3. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

It is pretty divvy to post from the actual property though, while you are still staying there. This is the same for all types of review, but particularly bad ones.

You have not really given the Hotel fair time to resolve any of your issues, have you?

How would you feel, if someone did that to you?

Good luck with the rest of your stay. I hope you receive 'civil' service, but be prepared that folk are not going to be likely to bend over backwards for you now, eh?

4. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:11 pm, April 02, 2014
Edited: 5:11 pm, April 02, 2014
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
reviews: 149
5. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

I just read your review, and Tripadvisor definitely didn't have anything to do with the manager reaching out to you. The review was posted fairly quickly after you wrote it, and as you are still there it was easy for management to use details within your review to do a bit of detective work on their reservations system to work out who you were, which room you are still currently in, and they would have your contact details on their reservations system.

I never write a review at the hotel, and certainly not 24 hours into a 5 night stay. I hope the rest of your stay goes well, but I suspect it will be rather awkward.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
6. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

There are some lessons to be learned. The first is to deal with the manager about any problems you might be having wherever you are staying. The second is to not use TA reviews to vent your displeasure about the first "5 minutes" of your stay. I think it is a childish thing to do. The approriate thing to do is to talk this over with the manager and allow her/him to resolve your complaints. What an awkward and embarrassing position you have put yourself into.

Edited: 6:06 pm, April 02, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
7. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

Really well stated MMm.

It really astounds me those wishing to 'go media' before they try and resolve issues to a mutually beneficial outcome.

key west
reviews: 29
8. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

Thank you all for your comments

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 71
9. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

Sholly hit mat ban !!!

Short of closing your review with your signature, I don't know how much more of a "road map" you could draw, that would have lead the Manager to your doorstep !

Have a nice day !!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
10. Re: My hotel seems to been given advance notice

That warrants a "BAM" or at least a "POW"

Indeed, never mind bread crumbs, the whole loaf was left on the trail.