We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Averaging the green dots given for service, cleanliness, etc

Lesmurdie, Australia
reviews: 2
Averaging the green dots given for service, cleanliness, etc

I gave a hotel only two to three "green dots" for my stay because it only met my average expectation. The review posting gave the place four of five green dots, WHY? How did you come up with this??? You cannot achieve an average of four green dots on only two and three green dots for service, cleanliness, etc. Someone didn't do a much better average on my other review either, but was pretty close.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
1. Re: Averaging the green dots given for service, cleanliness, etc

Before I respond to your posting, I want to point out that I don't work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I'm a TA member like you who volunteers to help fellow members with their questions.

The dots awarded are not averaged by a person or by a computer. The overall rating is awarded directly by the reviewer, not calculated.

If you wish to correct the overall rating so that it reflects your opinion of the property more accurately, you will need to remove your review and then resubmit a corrected review. (Save a copy of the review text first, of course, so that you don't have to rewrite that.) To remove your review, go to

www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewSupport > select "Remove my review" > select the review from the list of reviews

It may take a while for TA to remove the review; until it is gone, you won't be able to resubmit.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 65
2. Re: Averaging the green dots given for service, cleanliness, etc

I'm not exactly clear on your question, but I'll do my best to explain the ratings.

1) The final rating you assign is not an automatic average of the "captions" (cleanliness, sleep quality, etc). The final rating is assigned separately and independently of the caption ratings.

2) The overall rating is not a straight average of all user ratings. TA uses an algorithm (none of us know exactly what it is) that weights newer reviews over older ones.

3) The rank of a property versus others in the area is also affected by this algorithm.

4) Neither the rating nor the rank are official ratings of quality, but a numeric value assigned by customers to describe their experience at the time, hence locations where a 30-room motel is ranked as the #1 or #2 property amongst full-service hotels.

I hope this answers your question.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
3. Re: Averaging the green dots given for service, cleanliness, etc

Dawn there are 3 "dots" places to notice. I think this is the review you are referencing.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g488330-d119…

1. the 4 dots you yourself gave to the property ... located on the review template up near the field where you created your review title. And showing up next to your avatar photo.

2. the "Service, Value, Sleep Quality" dots that you yourself selected at the end of the review template.

3. the 4.5 dots that have been assigned over all to the property, up near the property photo, based on all 34 reviews. This is the one that is determined through some algorithm used by TA. My own non-algorithm explanation of this is this 4.5 dots is a result of some kind of calculation of all 34 votes. In far too simple terms, it just means that of the 34 reviews quite a few people must have given the place 5 dots. In fact the graph bars show that 26 of the 34 did so. I'm not sure how scientific the process is that TA uses, but that's my best shot at an explanation.

Edited: 11:08 pm, January 05, 2014
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
4. Re: Averaging the green dots given for service, cleanliness, etc

You mark the dots yourself on your review. On individual reviews, TripAdvisor does not do any averaging or in any way change your review.

5. Re: Averaging the green dots given for service, cleanliness, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 08, 2015