We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Editing reviews not published yet

Sydney Australia
reviews: 40
Editing reviews not published yet

Hi, would like to know since most of us are not professional reviewers why reviews that are not published yet cannot be edited by the owner of the review say within a 24 hour period??

The fact that you don't allow it seems very silly as you often remember one other point within a 24 hour period or something along those lines and now we don't even get a copy of the original review (like in the old days), I have to sit there and re-write the whole review again which seems overly tedious to me and I really don't have time like this to much around when all I'm doing is trying to assist future travellers!

And the fact you can't send an email to you and get a reply and it has to be a structured pick a drop list, says It all for itself. I would personally like to see this auctioned ASAP as its turning me off trip advisor more and more.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
1. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

Hi angel ~

Last point first. It would be impossible for TA to hire enough staff to handle all the individual emails that would come in from the hundreds of thousands of people who have questions about their reviews.

As for editing reviews, the general consensus on this forum is:

Write your review in a Word doc, save it, check it over, spell check it, sleep on it, add those comments that get remembered 24 hours later, check it again, save it.

When you are ready (up to a year after your experience) submit your review to the location.

If something goes sideways with the submission process (it evaporated when you hit the submit button, it disappears between pending and posting, it gets removed from the listing 2 weeks later) you have a copy in hand to work with.

Edited: 9:22 pm, September 03, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
2. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

Duplicate post on Support.

Sydney Australia
3. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

Thanks however I can't see how reviews for other sites can sit in cyber and be edited within a 24 hour period before being published and here we can't. They never action the reviews that quick anyway for publishing - it takes about a week usually I find.

This is a trip advisor flaw as we don't live in a perfect world. Saving in word although a great idea, when you're on the go and using the iPad app, this doesn't really work well so another solution is needed to make this an even better app I believe and listen to what the customers ( the reviewers) want.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 57
4. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

Not to be a jag, but when you're "on the go," can't you use a laptop with wi-fi? Or, simply type it on the laptop, save it, and upload it whenever it's convenient. I think Mufti has a good point. Take the time to proofread and edit beforehand. The review doesn't have to be posted within 30 seconds of your visit. Also, when you go to post and something goes haywire, you'll have a copy saved. I've lost forum posts on the app due to cyberspace glitches. I wouldn't trust it with a review that I took the time to write and proofread. That and my thumbs would get tired...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
5. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

I have downloaded Pages onto my iPad for typing things I want to remember and keep track of. At some point, certainly within the year available, I will not be on the go.

>> how reviews for other sites can sit in cyber and be edited within a 24 hour period before being published and here we can't. >> You must remember that TA is a business. They set their own policies. You can see the same thing by comparing the different policies that credit card companies and cell phone companies have. Different businesses set up their companies in different ways and offer their "customers" (we are volunteer members after all, as we pay nothing to post on TA) different features. We go to the place that best matches what we want and what we want to do.

Having said that, TA staff do read this forum and although they don't comment much, they are always taking suggestions posted here under consideration. At some point, maybe in a year (it's only been about 6 months since they rolled out this current version), when they roll out their next website edition, you may find your idea has been incorporated into it. Your suggestion is a reasonable one, it just won't work today. In the mean time, there are ways of writing, saving and submitting reviews that get around the perceived flaws that you see in the system.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 65
6. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

Hi angel1971;

TripAdvisor receives an average of 11,000 reviews each day. During summer, that number increases substantially.

As you noted, it can take a week (sometimes 2 weeks) the way the site operates now. How much more of a delay would you be willing to put-up with, to allow a "grace period" for editing a review ?

FYI...search this forum and the TripAdvisor Support forum, and you will find many people upset that their reviews aren't posted immediately, or within a few hours of submission.

Best Regards

Edited: 1:12 am, September 04, 2013
Sydney Australia
7. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

Exterior ... Nope no laptop, don't own one. Thanks for your support anyway and the rather interesting undertone in your reply... Criticising someone who is asking for some help in that manner doesn't really win any friends.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable and I do hope that Trip advisor does change the way they do things in future updates.

In the last version, trip advisor used to send you a copy of your review on the email saying " thanks for submitting" . This would be the best way to go so all of us can get a copy rather than the double editing version of word you all refer to and obviously frustrates many....not just me. Thanks for your time mufti.

Rescue, I'd be happy to wait a day if this meant I could edit. Just like I can edit this blog I just wrote! Ironic really from TA.

Edited: 1:21 am, September 04, 2013
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 65
8. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

Hi angel1971;

Forum posts are not vetted for compliance with the guidelines, prior to posting, like the reviews are.

Best Regards

9. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:37 pm, September 04, 2013
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 57
10. Re: Editing reviews not published yet

I'm not sure what guideline I've violated, but for the record, I wasn't criticizing, nor am I looking to "win friends." I'm just blunt. That said, I'm obviously not the only one who suggested using a word processing program or saving something for later. Believe me, that has its benefits. No one said your idea was unreasonable, just that it isn't workable right now, and if TA opts not to implement it, there may be valid reasons. This is a public member-to-member discussion forum. When an idea is posted, people talk about it. The positives, the negatives, and work-arounds. Trust me, I've had ideas drawn and quartered on here. Life goes on. We're just making suggestions on how to get the same result you're looking for while taking into account the sheer volume of review submissions.

Get answers to your questions