We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rating Hotels for Quietness

Mission Viejo, CA
reviews: 5
Rating Hotels for Quietness

TripAdvisor, and every other site that rates hotels, uses a purely subjective rating system that asks reviewers to also grade location, sleep quality, rooms, service, value, and cleanliness.

But there is one category that is missing, and it's the most important one to me: quiet. The only time I spend in my room is to shower, sleep, and change my clothes. The rest of the time I spend exploring. So all I really care about is how quiet the rooms are. Right now, the only way to find out to post a question for a specific destination before I leave, and see who responds.

Here are a few examples of what I mean:

I stayed at a motel in the Florida Keys that fronted the highway. It was quiet at night when I checked, but noisy in the early morning when the trucks got on the road. Another place in the Keys was off the highway, and quiet.

I just stayed in the Luxor in Las Vegas. The rooms all use wall-mounted air conditioners, which are always louder than some central air systems, and the windows didn't open. I turned off the A/C at night even though it was 101 during the day. When I checked into my room at Atlantis in the Bahamas, I wish I'd known that the rooms on one side were all above the air conditioning units that ran all night for the rest of that wing. I knew enough when I booked my room at the hotel in San Francisco, not to get a room that fronted the street with the cable cars, but not everyone may know that.

Mission Viejo, CA
reviews: 5
21. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

Some hotels can be rated on quietness based on one stay, and I gave some examples. For instance, if the hotel/motel uses wall air conditioners, every room is going to be noisy. If the windows don't open, and it's hot out, you've got a mess. If all the rooms have wall A/C and all the rooms are above common area A/C units, it's going to be noisy. If all the rooms front on a street car line, or are under the departure route of an airport that operates into the night, it's going to be a noisy hotel.;

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 60
22. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

Not to belabor the point, but again, that all sounds like something I'd rather read in the text of a review. I don't think a numeric rating helps me in that situation. Maybe I'm too focused on details, but id rather see those specifics in the review and decide for myself if I would find that hotel to be noisy or not.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
23. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

Hotels with air conditioners in the wall will only be noisy when there's a need for cooling. Just mention that they have wall conditioners; dinging a hotel year round for a seasonal problem is just wrong.

I agree with Exterior_Corridors (great nym). I'd rather just read it in the review - to encourage people to pass over a hotel because it is noisy (by looking at stars in one glance) when it's only noisy during A/C months is...just wrong.

If all the rooms front on a cable car line, I want some proof of that (which is best had by....looking at maps.google.com). Rarely do guests really tour an entire property to find out if there are really no quieter rooms.

Most properties have some rooms that are noisier than others.

Edited: 5:16 pm, September 06, 2013
Pittsburgh...
24. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

Ha ha, thanks! The parallel universe "me" owns a motel on Route 66.

Anyway, something just popped into my head that relates not only to this thread, but all the others that request additional "captions" to rate. When you look at a review, the first thing you see is the review headline and the overall rating. Then, you get the body of the review, followed by the "room tips." It isn't until the very end that you see the caption ratings. If you're on the app (at least on Android), you don't see them at all. It has occurred to me that I almost never look at them except perhaps to try to get in the head of a particularly angry 1* reviewer. Never, though, have the captions actually helped me make a decision, because by the time I get to them (if I get to them), I've already read the information in the review. At that point, the ratings are nothing more than a formality. Again, maybe I'm just too focused on specifics to understand the need for all those ratings. But, for someone like me at least, adding another caption would just take up space.

Amsterdam...
reviews: 59
25. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

Fully agree with having a separate rating for quietness. This is an important selection criteria and reminds me of the hotels located in the Hotel Ring in San Diego. Hotel Ring sounds very innocent and perhaps even romantic unless you face the truth and experience that the traffic on the Interstate 8 is literally passing underneath your bed. Unless your complete deaf in my opinion nobody wants to stay in such a hotel.

Pittsburgh...
26. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

Again, text of the review tells me that. Green dots at the end of the review tell me very little.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 36
27. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

>>>Hotel Ring sounds very innocent and perhaps even romantic unless you face the truth and experience that the traffic on the Interstate 8 is literally passing underneath your bed. Unless your complete deaf in my opinion nobody wants to stay in such a hotel<<<

That tells me that one needs to do some home work of their own, on finding out the actual location, and not rely just on reviews.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
28. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

<<<I would never try to rate a hotel on "quietness" based on staying in one room.

Same if you stay only one or two days. A week is the minimum to have an idea of the place.

But the noise is really subjective, I stayed one month in an hotel very noisy only at 6am and not one of the 200+ reviews mentioned it....

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
29. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

>>>Fully agree with having a separate rating for quietness. This is an important selection criteria and reminds me of the hotels located in the Hotel Ring in San Diego. Hotel Ring sounds very innocent and perhaps even romantic unless you face the truth and experience that the traffic on the Interstate 8 is literally passing underneath your bed.<<<

Perhaps you mean Hotel Circle, the street name, and if you had asked in the San Diego Forum no San Diego DE would have recommended you stay on Hotel Circle.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 772
30. Re: Rating Hotels for Quietness

>> if you had asked in the San Diego Forum no San Diego DE would have recommended you stay on Hotel Circle. <<

An excellent example of how the forums function to help people plan -- and perhaps are more useful than the reviews!