We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ranking of restaurants by neighborhood: Las Vegas, NV

Chicago, Illinois
Ranking of restaurants by neighborhood: Las Vegas, NV

If you look at TripAdvisor's restaurant rankings for Las Vegas, Nevada (tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g45963-Las_Vegas…), and you select "The Strip" for Neighborhoods in the left-hand rail, you will get what purports to be a ranking of TA's top-ranked restaurants on the Las Vegas Strip.

However, some restaurants which are highly ranked, and on the Strip, are omitted:

The Mandarin Bar (at the Mandarin Oriental) is #2 overall in Las Vegas.

Le Cirque (at Bellagio) is #4 overall.

Mastro's Ocean Club (at Crystals at CityCenter) is #12 overall.

Jean Philippe Patisserie (at Bellagio) is #14 overall.

Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab (at the Forum Shops at Caesars) is #16 overall.

Mon Ami Gabi (at Paris) is #18 overall.

Tacos el Gordo (at 3049 S. Las Vegas Blvd.) is #19 overall.

Yet none of them show up in TA's ranking of the top restaurants on the Strip. The top 4 that TA lists as being on the Strip are The Cheesecake Factory (#6 overall), Fat Tuesday (#13 overall), L'Atelier Joel Robuchon (#15 overall), and Petrossian (#20 overall).

It looks like TA is missing more restaurants on the Strip from this intended ranking than they are including. Is there any better way to notify the staff about this issue besides posting on this forum?

5 replies to this topic
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
1. Re: Ranking of restaurants by neighborhood: Las Vegas, NV

TA, strictly speaking, does not rank the restaurants. The members, by way of their reviews, do. The rankings are essentially a popularity contest and do not necessarily reflect the quality of the meal, merely that a lot of TA members liked (or didn't like) any particular establishment.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 57
2. Re: Ranking of restaurants by neighborhood: Las Vegas, NV

York, I think the OP is talking about a location problem with already listed restaurants. If I'm reading it right, as a quick example, the #2 restaurant in Vegas which is located on the Strip doesn't show up when doing a location search of Strip restaurants. There's a link on the listings that let's you update property information, but I'm not on a real computer now so I can't be more specific. I've requested location updates before, so I know it can be done. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this before I have the chance to look at the full site.

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Ranking of restaurants by neighborhood: Las Vegas, NV

Thanks, Exterior. I'm not talking about what ranking any particular restaurant gets or why.

I'm talking about why certain restaurants, which are located in a particular neighborhood, don't show up in the rankings if you search based on that particular neighborhood.

Going back to my examples, Le Cirque, Jean Philippe Patisserie, and Petrossian are all highly ranked, and all located in the same building at the same address, which is on the Strip. Thus, if you do a search for the top-ranked restaurants on the Strip, they should all appear among the top listings. But Le Cirque and Jean Philippe Patisserisie do not show up listed among the top-ranked restaurants on the Strip, even though they are more highly ranked overall than Petrossian, which does show up. And, let me emphasize, all three of these are located in the same building.

If TA wanted to define the Strip differently from how most people define it (South Las Vegas Blvd. from 2000 S. Las Vegas Blvd to 3950 S. Las Vegas Blvd.), that would be one thing. But I think it's safe to say that restaurants located in the same building at the same address should all be included within the same neighborhood.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 57
4. Re: Ranking of restaurants by neighborhood: Las Vegas, NV

It seems to me its a glitch somewhere when filtering properties by location. I added a property once to what I thought was the Pittsburgh area and it ended up being listed in "Pennsylvania". I didn't even know that properties could be listed by state and not by town. I'm sure it gets complicated determining what neighborhoods and suburbs get listed as part of a major city's greater area and which ones get listed separately. Case in point, Washington, PA is its own city more than a half hour from Pittsburgh, but still shows up in Pittsburgh searches. I'm not sure exactly how the locations of properties is determined, but it seems like this is a process that could be made a bit more consistent.

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Ranking of restaurants by neighborhood: Las Vegas, NV

I just want to thank the folks at TripAdvisor who helped fix this situation. The restaurants I mentioned are now all showing up in the Strip listing as they should.

Reply to: Ranking of restaurants by neighborhood: Las Vegas, NV
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted