We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

I find them annoying, distracting and really don't like them at all. I also fail to see how they add any increase in functionally over the "auto-hyperlinking" that is already applied to the text in forum postings?

Is there anybody out there that likes these or think they are a good idea? Or is this just another case of TA "fixing" something that wasn't broken, adding a feature that is actually a negative, and/ or . . . .

hlo

Berkshire, England
reviews: 62
21. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Please, please get rid of them!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
22. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

The more I have been reading questions lately and noticing that fewer people seem to be aware of the menu bar and the Top Questions, the more I wonder if mobile devices are the reason for creating these snippets. They try to replace the "Things to Do" tab in the menu bar which is great for a certain number of Things to Do attractions and activities. However, it's an unfair advantage as not all of them will be mentioned over the threads on a forum. And they are most distracting.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 100
23. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

The snippets will be even more of a disaster on the mobile devices with the limited screen space available.

Inline hyperlinks that do not take up any additional space would be much more appropriate for use on small screens

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
24. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

If these intrusive and intensely annoying snippety things are supposed to replace the menu bar - they are not going to work! When one uses the menu bar, one gets the FULL number of lodging, restaurant and attraction options, not just one or two that are "highlighted".

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
25. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

It seems it's just another form of advertising. Hilariously, one person recently mentioned several places as examples of something that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, which she was describing in detail.

So, in the middle of X forum, two snippets came up about two completely unrelated places, Y and Z (I'm guessing that the casual reader gets easily confused about where they actually are - because later on the thread, someone from a completely different place started asking questions about Y, and then someone from Z got on the thread to chime in with more information about Z; they were obviously on the thread and saw those as cues to talk about Y and Z).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
26. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

I've thankfully been spared these the last couple of days, but "oh no" they are appearing again today :-(

On one thread, a poster mentioned that the weather was different on the other side of "the mountains" (proper name used). Sure enough, up jumped a stupid snippet for "the mountains".

The OP had not asked about going to "the mountains".

.................sigh.............

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 347
27. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Agree with the topic, Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums.... send the pointy heads back to the drawing board for a new idea.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
28. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

They're back today for me and my TA happiness meter has plummeted. I think my blood pressure goes up when one appears.

What would be entertaining and therapeutic would be if they had a video game quality and I could weaponize my mouse and blow them up. The sight of them going Poof! or busting into little snippet fragments would make my day.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 85
29. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Get rid of this nonsense! NOW!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
reviews: 6
30. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

They are back on the Hawaii forums--and NOT relevant to the post, as almost always. ACK!!!!!!!!!

Get answers to your questions