We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

I find them annoying, distracting and really don't like them at all. I also fail to see how they add any increase in functionally over the "auto-hyperlinking" that is already applied to the text in forum postings?

Is there anybody out there that likes these or think they are a good idea? Or is this just another case of TA "fixing" something that wasn't broken, adding a feature that is actually a negative, and/ or . . . .

hlo

31 replies to this topic
Chester, United...
reviews: 48
1. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

It is all explained in this post

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k67555…

So Cal
reviews: 64
2. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Hate it. HATE IT. Very distracting, takes up valuable screen space. In any given forum thread, people are going to be mentioning a lot of the same places. So we're going to have the same pop-ups showing up all over the place in same thread? Who thinks up this stuff? If I want to read about that attraction, give me a link. A link is inviting. That stupid little box is not.

Edited: 3:41 pm, August 23, 2013
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
3. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Welcome to the "club of unfortunates", hlo . . . those of us who have been unfortunate enough to get those darned irritating snippets in some threads :-(

Please do take a few minutes to read through FFM's link and leave your comments.

USA
reviews: 169
4. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Is there an executive summary for those of us who don't wish to read 16 pages of comments?

So Cal
reviews: 64
5. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

TA: We're testing out this shiny new thing, because most of you don't click through on the text links. Testing with attractions pop-ups now, hope to expand to hotels and restaurants later. Various versions of the shiny new toy are currently out there, visible to a small number of users. Y'all let us know what you think.

Most users: It's bad. Please stop.

TA: [silence]

6. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:34 am, November 17, 2013

USA
reviews: 169
7. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Thanks, Jenazz. Perfect. I have been through enough of these discussions to know that you have nailed it, right down to the "TA: [silence]".

Chayofa, Spain
8. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

It just opens the way for abuse.

Truth or...
9. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Make them disappear with AdBlock Plus & Element Hiding Helper for Firefox.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
10. Re: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .

Oh dear, Jenazz, I don't when I've laughed so hard at any post, thanks!

:-D

Reply to: Drop the attraction "pop ups" in the forums . . .
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted