We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

badges

Lima, Peru
reviews: 4
badges

Thanks for the badge which I recieved today. However I really don't want a badge or any kind of reward for writing reviews. Isn't it a bit childish?

That apart I think Tripadvisor is a well organised and very valuable resource.

All the best,

Alan

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 60
21. Re: badges

To add to that and reiterate something I've said before, I've read one too many useless substance-free reviews by 20 and 50 review contributors to even pay attention to review count anymore, not that I ever really did. I know there are a lot of data people out there that want a quick quantitative analysis. This is a case where qualitative assessment of what is written seems to be the better tool than just looking for a number.

Chester, United...
reviews: 53
22. Re: badges

"We should be given monetary awards after submitting a certain amount of reviews. TripAdvisor is doing quite well. Time is valuable"

As has been said TA allow you to use all their data to research you next meal out, day out or holiday

Personally, I write reviews because I want to and for no other reason

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 60
23. Re: badges

Agree with quality vs quantity post, as well written reviews are very helpful. Which is where the 'helpful' rating is actually a good idea, because to a degree it shows people that it's a reviewer that might be worth taking note of, before even looking at their post.

Of course, if there are dodgy people out there manipulating the reviews, pics, ratings etc. - have heaps of posts & had others they know say they're helpful, then this obviously is not good & should be weeded out.

In respect of being 'paid', I think a nominal amount of points (like Agoda) might encourage more reviews being posted, but then as someone else said...it would 'cheapen' the site & the quality of reviews would probably diminish I expect.

I for one have started putting reviews up over the last year in an attempt to 'pay back', as we always consult TA before booking a hotel & I don't expect to get any reward for it at all (except a shiny gold badge!!)

;o)

Chester, United...
reviews: 53
24. Re: badges

"In respect of being 'paid', I think a nominal amount of points (like Agoda) might encourage more reviews being posted"

Just an idea but if TA ever did this such points could be pooled and given to charitable causes!!!

25. Re: badges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 08, 2014