We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

London, UK
reviews: 289
Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

Once one's reached 'top contributor' status, it's difficult for reviewers to feel that they're contributions are actually valued. The feedback rates are so low in general that these scores have no bearing on the number of times a review has been read. I think the time has come for TripAdvisor to think of other ways of encouraging contributors to continue their hard work.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
1. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

What kind of "encouragement" are you seeking? Most people write reviews to help others not for any type of "recognition".

London, UK
reviews: 289
2. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

Writing reviews to help others is precisely why I started writing reviews 7 years ago, including submitting details of restaurants and hotels that hadn't been reviewed before. But 223 reviews and 430 contributions later, most of which receive either 0 or 1 helpful vote, it sometimes feels that I've been contributing to a holiday scrapbook for my own interest. As I suggested in another post, reminding viewers to press 'yes' if they found the review helpful would substantially improve the feedback for reviewers and reassure them that their reviews have been helpful. I think another tier above 'top contributor' could be offered: perhaps 'expert reviewer' or something like that.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 648
3. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

but what if they didn't find the review helpful?

would you still continue?

I have removed all my reviews and started again,any review more than a year or so old is pretty useless unless it just shoes a pattern to a place or a contributer.

personally i would seldom read any reviews more than 6 months old..

peoplw will write reviews because they want to,not for any recognition.

I see you have made very few forum contributions,the forums are the true heart of TA and where you can really help other travellers, I don'r seek nor feel the need for any recognition for the many 1000's of forum post i have made and the majority of other TA members feel the same.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
4. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

You wrote 200 of the bleeping things and need "encouragement" to write more? All rightie then...

Not to be a jag, but I don't get the obsession with the little star badges. I can see it now. Senior contributor, top contributor, supreme contributor, intergalactic warrior conributor...

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 200
5. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

I want an intergalactic warrior contributor badge :) :)

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
6. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

I think that one requires at least three reviews for Gamma Quadrant destinations and a traveler article approved by Starfleet.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
7. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

What I'd like.

A straightforward process for submitting reviews. I did a couple years ago and don't remember any problems but I think it was simpler, since then I have read forum posts by other people who have found the process troublesome in some way. I'm all for having a few hoops to jump through to prove a reviewer is legit, that's important, but just technical glitches or illogical flow or links or something, no.

A straightforward process for submitting accompanying photographs if desired. And not having my photographs mixed up with other reviewers so it's not clear which photos go with which reviews, and definitely not combined with non-traveller photos like those Leonardo ones.

No badges or other incentives like that. It's a big part of why I haven't done any more. Apparently I am only one review away from blah blah. No thank you.

Helpful votes, I have mixed feelings about that, what exactly does it mean anyway? And sometimes I see such a brief vague unhelpful review that for a moment I wish they'd bring the unhelpful vote back, but probably best not to.

Number of views, that would be nice. It would be good to know if anyone is reading, that's something I would like. But I'm not sure how that could work, with multiple reviews on a page and different ways of filtering the reviews so some might be counted more than once.

Btw exterior_corridors, where's the forum for Risa?

South Pole
reviews: 39
8. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

basically what MacKnee says.

I haven't bothered contributing reviews for years.

too much trouble, too many hoops to jump thru.

and I don't want mine lumped in with a whole lot of one liners (and the ones that go on and on and on.....) as well as those that are non legit....positive or negative.

as for helpful votes....it's really a crock

as for how many have read? don't care.

guess after all these years I am over TA reviewing.

like the forums though.

to me they are the engine room of the site. no possibility to 'snow' anyone or provide false or misleading info there.

Edited: 3:36 am, June 21, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 648
9. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

Got to agree with Lien, the forums are the only part of TA that is worth a damn these days but even at that many of the destination froums have become compromised by people openly touting their buisnesses on them.I find these days I am using the forums on other travel sites more and more.well apart from Frommers,that site is total mince.

Edited: 4:05 am, June 21, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 52
10. Re: Contributors need more encouragement to continue reviewing

Does mince mean rubbish? I'm guessing.

My reviews are what they are, take them or leave them. Like purchasing an airfare, I click it through and never look back.

I don't really want TA to "discover" the destination forums. Want to have them remain fun and in working order.