We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

Green Valley, AZ
reviews: 15
What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

I have a pick of different planes, boeings, does anyone out there have a lot of experience with first class on these different planes?

Rome to Tucson

London, United...
reviews: 101
11. Re: What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

-it is - haggis

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
12. Re: What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

Going via London, using either AA or BA for the transatlantic portion, you'll need to change planes twice, once in London then again somewhere in the US, since there are no nonstop flights between Europe and Tucson.

The only one-stop service offered by AA or its partners is on AA from Rome to Chicago, connecting at ORD for the AA flight to Tucson. Flying that route is at least six or seven hours faster than any route via London (or, alternatively, via AA's nonstop from Rome to New York/JFK, where, again, you'd need to change somewhere else in the US to get to TUS.)

AA flies 767s between Rome and Chicago and JFK. There's no first class on those planes, only business class. However, the seats are very comfortable, and I've found the level of service in business class on the two-cabin 767s to be pretty comparable to that in first class on AA's existing 777s. Seating is 2-2-2 in the business cabin, so if you're traveling with somebody and take the middle pair, both passengers get an aisle seat.

Your domestic flight (the connection from ORD in this case) will be on a narrow-body plane, probably an MD-80 or 737, on which first class will be okay, nothing more.

Dallas
reviews: 6
13. Re: What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

Triple 7!!!!

East Grinstead...
reviews: 61
14. Re: What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

Flown AA and BA transatlantic many times, and AA always beats BA. Better on time performance, wider seats, even the planes look nicer. I think it is a bit of an urban myth about BA`s supposed superiority over US carriers. (And I am British by the way so not bias).

Beau

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
15. Re: What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

Flown AA and BA transatlantic many times, and AA always beats BA.

In First and Business too? Sorry but you're delusional.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
16. Re: What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

Another vote here for BA first and business over AA, even with the narrower seats on BA business... as long as you get the wall seat.

OP, as with many Americans, may not realize that there is business, and there is First as domestically, everything better than economy is called "First".

The difference between business and economy is substantial. The difference between First and Business.... well... not so much. F gives a wider seat and far less passenger density on most airlines that have it... but it is more and more difficult to find these days.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
17. Re: What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

>> In First and Business too? Sorry but you're delusional. <<

Well, I've been in J and F on both, quite often in fact, and the last thing I would ever do is be quite so doctrinaire. I've had great BA flights and others where I was really disappointed with the service and accommodations; ditto for AA. There are some great J seats on BA 744s (62AK and 64AK in particular) but in other cases, such as the J dormitories on the main floor of the 744s and 777s, the cavernous space of the cabin combined with the narrow and claustrophobic seats makes - FOR ME - for a less than optimal experience. AA's J seats aren't lie-flat (macht nichts IMO) but they're wider, easier to access, and give more shoulder, laptop, and other spaces. FOR ME.

On TATL AA only offers F on 772s, and IMO the Flagship Suites, however dated they might appear, are still some of the most comfortable chairs in the air. Haven't been on new BA F yet (mainly fly in J) but "old" BA F vs. AA FS - AA wins.

In 2-class AA TATL ops, I've found the service in J almost always better than one receives in MOST BA J ops, and rivaling service one gets in F on either carrier (smaller, more intimate cabins, higher FA/passenger ratios, etc.)

AA's T3 LHR station is the pits vs. T5, but AA's JFK and DFW stations are streets ahead of BA's IMO.

So personally I refrain from too many polar comparisons. Perhaps that makes me delusional too, but there you go.

East Grinstead...
reviews: 61
18. Re: What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

In First and Business too? Sorry but you're delusional.

-------

Hardly. Take it from a regular flyer on both, the difference is not great, and the little there is is in favour of the American carrier. As stated by another poster, BAs only true advantage is T5 over T3 at LHR, but thats BAAs baby, not BAs.

Don`t get me wrong I love BA for alot of reasons, but for cabin comfort AA knicks it.

B

19. Re: What is the best plane on AA to take for 1st class?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 15, 2013