We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapphire Princess

Australia
reviews: 7
Sapphire Princess

Going on a 13 day trip on Sapphire Princess from NZ. Anyone been on it ? Any tips?

Boondy

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 114
1. Re: Sapphire Princess

you will love it- fabulous ship

australia
reviews: 13
2. Re: Sapphire Princess

Hi Boondy, we have booked this cruise for April 2007,so if you get any good tips please let me know.We are so excited can't wait as this is our very first cruise.

Irish guinness

Australia
3. Re: Sapphire Princess

Looks like we will be on the same cruise as we sail out of Auckland on April 5th to Sydney. I have heard all good reports on the ship but am puzzled about the eating arrangements. We have personal chooice...I think this means we eat at any restaurant at any time.

I hear it can be rough waters across the seas from Auckland but I guess that can apply to anywhere. we have sailed to the UK from West Australia in a small cruise ship...took 5 weeks and loved every moment. Also have done 2 shorter cruises on the Gemini in Asia,...again...thoroughly enjoyed them.

Hope you have a great time on the Sapphire Princess

Boondy

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
4. Re: Sapphire Princess

We've booked the same ship for the Austarlia to NZ route next January. I'd appreciate any feedback you can give us. Have a great time!

australia
reviews: 13
5. Re: Sapphire Princess

Hi Boondy,

many thanks for your reply,if you go to

http://cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/

and type in Sapphire Princess, there is a great deal of info regading this cruise,especially from one couple Ralph and Jean Walker. just found this web site today,do hope it helps......

never know we might meet up on board our cruise if not have a great time. Irish Guinness

Australia
6. Re: Sapphire Princess

Hi irishGuinness

Thanks for your info. I had found this site and read the entry from the Walkers...excellent wasn't it?

I think we will do our own tours when on the ship as we are touring NZ for 3 weeks pre cruise and no doubt will have seen some of the tours they organise.

If I get any new info will let you know

Boondy

Greenville, Ohio
reviews: 43
7. Re: Sapphire Princess

try cruisecritic.com for reviews and comments on Sapphire Princess. We are booked on it and found it most useful.

Melbourne
reviews: 4
8. Re: Sapphire Princess

We are trying to work out what would be better. This cruise or the Sun Princess (which seems cheaper) any thoughts?

The Sun Princess seems like a nice cruise and they are doing the 6 nights. Prices on board are in Aud rather than USD (more expensive???)

Alberta,Canada
reviews: 16
9. Re: Sapphire Princess

We just got back from a cruise on the Diamond Princess (twin sister to the Sapphire Princess) last week. We really enjoyed this ship - they keep it well maintained and it is only (3 years old - Sapphire is a few months newer). The ship is 950 feet long and 18 stories tall (116,000 tons) so it is one of the bigger ships on the sea at the moment .

Okay here are my tips etc:

1. The Personal Choice dining option is the one we chose for our cruise. There is another groups of messages on this topic which cover it quite well.

Tip: If you dine early there will probably not be any line ups - if you dine after 7:30 you will probably have to wait for a table or call for a reservation the day before.

We dine around 6:00 and didn't wait in line at all even through there were 3000 passengers on our cruise. Sapphire has 4 personal choice dining rooms with different themes Southwestern/Asian/Steakhouse/Italian. They all have the same basic menu but with a couple of specialty items unique to that venue.

2. They serve free ice cream at the buffet around 3:30 each afternoon - but they don't advertise that. The pizza gets lots of rave reviews too, although we didn't give it very good marks (Canadians seem to have a different taste in Pizza that Americans).

3. Also, if you are looking for a traditional late night snack at the buffet ... good luck. Our joke was, " okay, it is 11:00pm lets go to the buffet and get some bedtime rack of lamb!". If you like muffins etc at bedtime - get extra in the morning and keep them in your room for later (your room has a refridgerator to store perishable items).

4. Depending on your physical condition - I recommend taking the stairways between decks rather than waiting for the elevators. There are lots of elevators that hold quite a few people but the stairs are wide and not crowded. Not to mention the extra calories that you burn to make room for that second/third/.. helping of Lobster tails at dinner ;-)

5. The ship is very stable and the seas need to be quite rough before you get much movement at midship.

6. Get the soda/softdrink card if you plan on drink Coke products on the cruise. At $27.50 for the week it only takes a couple of glasses a day to pay for itself. Think about choosing Ginger Ale to calm the stomach during the cruise.

7. Read the Princess Patter newsletter every evening when it is delivered to your cabin. Bring a highlighter pen to mark the events that you want to catch the next day. There is so much happening each day that you will find this trick very beneficial.

8. Big thing ... RELAX. It is easy to get up tight with so much going on so make sure you take 2-3 hours a day just to lay around and do nothing but think about what you want to drink when this one is finished ;-)

9. Read a good book from the ship's library or go for a massage at the Lotus Spa.

10. Have a terrific Cruise!

Alberta,Canada
reviews: 16
10. Re: Sapphire Princess

Oops, forgot something,

To see some photos of the ship take a look at shipcafe.net there are photos of the Diamond Princess which is pretty much identical to the Sapphire.