We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

Chicago, IL USA
reviews: 3
Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

I'm looking for advice about or how to find an Alaska cruise in a small boat. Any suggestions?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 39
1. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

How small of a boat or ship are you looking for ?

ON, Canada
reviews: 34
2. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

Lindblad might be an option for you: www.expeditions.com/Destination44.asp…

Suggest also asking on the Alaska forum as there is a lot of discussion there re cruising.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
reviews: 16
3. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

djk802, in addition to Lindblad take a look at:

http://www.cruisewest.com/

Cruisewest (leading Alaska small ship company) folded 2-3 years ago, but InnerSea Discoveries/America Safari Cruises took over their website. Company starting to get some very positive comments.

Silversea is a luxury cruise line with ships carrying under 400 passengers. They do Alaska well. This is the polar opposite of Lindblad!

Also, for ideas take a look at:

adventuresmithexplorations.com/adventures.ph…

Sorry I can't give you one single "go to" line, but as lht28 says, depends on how small you want to go. At some point, they stop being "ships", and are boats, ferries, or yachts.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
4. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

Susan - throwing out a controversial comment here. Perhaps this comment belongs in an PM, but....I've personally decided not to send people to the Alaska board for cruise SHIP info. IMO, the level of civility there is lower - often much lower - than in this forum. A few posters believe land travel is always the better way to see Alaska, and actively discourage cruising.

We're small but mighty. The regulars on this forum know what cruises ARE and AREN'T good for. I also thing everyone here is polite (except me - sorry for past sins, Susan).

The Alaska board is a terrific place to find out more about shore excursions, and extending a cruise with a land trip to Denali.

But, I'm *personally* not going to send people there to discuss ships.

That's not a suggestion to anyone else, just my own comment.

Edited: 9:38 am, March 28, 2012
ON, Canada
reviews: 34
5. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

fannish ... Thanks for enlightening me on the situation with the Alaska forum...I don't follow it that closely and didn't realize that some people actively discourage cruising ... thought it might be a good resource because of Frommy's excellent post in the "Top Questions" tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k38186…

Agree that this is a friendly forum... and you have nothing to apologize for :)

Greater Sydney...
reviews: 32
6. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

Fannish,

Cruisewest shut down in 2000 and some of their operations were taken over by Inner Seas.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
7. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

Gee, Frommy - info I looked up dates that CruiseWest folding to September 2010, not 2000.

…businessweek.com/research/…

That's more like 18 mo than "2-3 years" but I didn't think my guesstimate was objectionable.

As I stated, I've heard some positive whispers about InnerSeas - a couple random posts - just not on this board.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 77
8. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

American Cruise Lines has small ship cruises to Alaska.

www.americancruiselines.com/

Greater Sydney...
reviews: 32
9. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

Whoops. Typo. Should be 2010 as said by you, Fannish.

BTW, I am cruiser friendly on the Alaska forum, :)) But I am getting to be a lonely voice. Manitoba_Maple no longer posts.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
10. Re: Small boat Alaska cruise/tour

No worries, Frommy.

And it's weird that there's still a working CruiseWest website, but InnerSeas apparently bought it to link their own itineraries.

I don't mean to sound harsh about the Alaska board. It's only....I think seeing Hubbard or Glacier Bay can be as exciting (if different) as visiting Denali. Few non-Alaska-residents are going to see tidewater glaciers any other way than the deck of a cruise ship.

I know you're cruise friendly, and "get it". I'm glad you're continuing to post both here and there.

Edited: 11:12 pm, March 28, 2012