We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Baggage Restrictions

west yorkshire
reviews: 16
Christmas Baggage Restrictions

Hi- I am travelling to lanzarote for xmas with the hubbie, son sons partner and two grandchildren- I am wanting to take a new boxed sat nav in my suitcase, my husbands pressie, am I allowed to pack it in my suitcase or will they see it at x ray and have it removed?

If I pack it in hand luggage my husband might see it (cos you are not allowed to wrap them) or they might not let me take it on the flight - PLEASE HELP ME AS I AM IN A DILEMMA- THE OTHER PRESSIES (ONE FOR EACH) ARE NOT ELECTRICAL OR BATTERY OPERATED SO I AM NOT TOO WORRIED ABOUT THOSE- WE ARE FLYING WITH JET 2 FROM LEEDS -

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 5
1. Re: Christmas Baggage Restrictions

Would it be possible just to take the emtpy box with a note saying something like "Happy Christmas darling! You WILL get the contents of this box when we get home" I don't imagine he will need to use it in Lanzarote and it would give you all a laugh doing it that way. You may think I am dodging your question but I do genuinely think it might save a bit of hassle. FD

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
2. Re: Christmas Baggage Restrictions

"Would it be possible just to take the emtpy box with a note saying something like "Happy Christmas darling! You WILL get the contents of this box when we get home"

That would be my recommendation as well, I wouldn't want to deal with taking it, watching over it, hoping it doesn't get "lost" along the way etc etc.

UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: Christmas Baggage Restrictions

That is a good point, chances are the sat nav wont work in lanzarote anyway (assuming its a tomtom or similar car one)

Anyway, if you want to take it there is no restriction on taking electronic items in bagagge AFAIK, but look on baa.co.uk to be sure. Most of the restrictions are what can be carried in *hand* baggage not checked in hold baggage.

But as fundriver said, taking the box seems like a good plan. Less weight, nothing to get nicked, and chances are you wont be using it while you are on holiday anyway.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Christmas Baggage Restrictions

If you put the Sat Nav in a suitcase there's a good chance you'll end up with an empty box.

If you do decide to take it then put it in hand luggage - though it may have to be X-Rayed separately which may spoil the surprise.

Actually I think empty box is the way to go, just stuff it with other things so it doesn't get crushed

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 39
5. Re: Christmas Baggage Restrictions

Save space ...get a picture of the NAV syatem from a magazine & put it in a gift card with a note ..."waiting for you at home."

It saves valuable luggage space & no hassles with customs agents.

west yorkshire
reviews: 16
6. Re: Christmas Baggage Restrictions

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions - think i am going to just take the empty box with a special card in it - thanks guys feel much happier now - HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you all

7. Re: Christmas Baggage Restrictions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 20, 2009