We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia (Is it too late to change to another airline?)

Sarasota, Florida
Alitalia (Is it too late to change to another airline?)

FYI, our family of 6 flew Alitalia to / from Canada / Rome, Italy. We highly recommend you do not use Alitalia airline. On both trips we were unable to be seated together, despite paying top dollar for economy fares via our travel agent and having her assurance we'd be together. The bathrooms on the planes were disgusting; the bad smells traveled throughout the plane and often no toilet paper was available. Three of us were seated in the very back and were unable to get food: they ran out by the time they got to the rear seats! No service was provided during 7 of the 8 hour return flight: you could get your own water at the back of the plane - not an easy trek through a stinky plane. Some of the seats were held together by duct tape. Oh yes, for video watchers you need your own device; the old planes offered only a few drop-down screens. Overall, we'd never fly with Alitalia again and recommend you do the same.

6 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Alitalia (Is it too late to change to another airline?)

Totally agree with you, terrible airline. However I agree with you for somewhat different reasons, not because of not seating together, this is common, and I sincerely doubt you paid top dollar to fly with them, they tend to be lower priced, and for good reason.

However yes, their service is terrible, they are my least favourite airline.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Alitalia (Is it too late to change to another airline?)

"On both trips we were unable to be seated together, despite paying top dollar for economy fares via our travel agent and having her assurance we'd be together."

So the problem was with your travel agent, no? If you had booked yourself on their website you could have picked your seats free-of-charge.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
3. Re: Alitalia (Is it too late to change to another airline?)

Seating isn't guaranteed on any airline. Many posts about this on TA. Besides, it was your travel agent, not Alitalia, who gave you a guarantee. How far apart did you end up sitting?

We were once on a TAP flight from LIS to FOR, and one inebriated passenger (drunk when he boarded) put 2 restrooms out of commission through urine and vomit. A year ago, we flew a United flight from San Francisco to Maui in first class, and the 757 had only drop-down screens. Somehow we survived.

Oregon
reviews: 19
4. Re: Alitalia (Is it too late to change to another airline?)

I flew 15 hours on United from San Francisco to Hong Kong in April with only drop down screens. I survived.

Manchester, United...
5. Re: Alitalia (Is it too late to change to another airline?)

IFE is a relic of the 1990/2000s.

In this day and age, it is so easy to have our own books, music, games and films on our own personal tablets. Sometimes the airline will have some interesting documentaries or features that I would have never discovered otherwise, but it's something I can live without.

I hate having the IFE box underneath the seat in front of me, and the overall weight (and installation/maintenance) of the system also adds cost. If I ran an airline, I would strip my planes of this old fashioned relic tomorrow.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
6. Re: Alitalia (Is it too late to change to another airline?)

" If I ran an airline, I would strip my planes of this old fashioned relic tomorrow."

They're working on it.

Reply to: Alitalia (Is it too late to change to another airline?)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted