We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

Wigan, United...
reviews: 13
JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

We booked flights for 2015 to Tenerife JET2 has canceled them and offered rubbish flights instead or get a refund which we asked for and have to wait upto 2/3 weeks for. We knew that there were flights with the times we wanted on a different day as we had seen them when searching originally, but as flights go up daily, now they were quite a bit more expensive to book than when we originally booked our flights. Why is it that customers have to cough up the extra money when it is JET 2 that canceled. I think that JET2 should allow customers who's flights they have cancelled to get them at the price they were at the time of the original booking and not make us pay the increase in costs as time has passed and prices have risen.

28 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 100
1. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

Because that's just how it is.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
2. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

This could have happened with any carrier - if you're not happy with the JET 2 price simply book with another airline.

Did you ask them if you could switch to those flights before rejecting the "rubbish flights" and taking the refund.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
3. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

"I think that JET2 should allow customers who's flights they have cancelled to get them at the price they were at the time of the original booking and not make us pay the increase in costs as time has passed and prices have risen."

I'm sure they would have done just that if you had simply called them to rebook rather than take the refund.

Somerset, UK
reviews: 225
4. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

And sometimes you have to exit a Jet2 plane via the wing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29058223

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

What was it that made the alternative flights 'rubbish'?

Wigan, United...
6. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

The alternative flights meant we would only get to the Villa to dump the bags and get ready for bed and with health issues it would have been a very tiring day. The return meant hanging around all day and night until the return flight.

We had already booked the hire vehicle and Villa so it was a case of checking that the Villa owner was OK with different dates etc and booking the new flights in case they got booked up, and some people on forums say that by phone they have had problems with booking and costs etc.

Jet 2 can sometimes take days before you get through to them on the phone and using their facebook private messaging is hit and miss if they feel like it they will reply but mostly NOT and whatever problem you have had they are always in the right especially if it means giving money back to customers. For example this year we had the same things in our bags as always the scales at the airport for jet2 were not working properly and the staff were kicking bits back into place to try and get bags to weigh and said our bags were over weight and wouldn't give us time to put some things in our cabin bags out of the hold bags so made us pay for an extra bag to cover the supposed over weight, on the return journey the bags with the same things in them were all under weight, when I complained to JET2 of course they say their scales are calibrated regularly so they couldn't possibly be at fault according to them anyway but we know differently.

I would love to be able to book with another carrier but some do not have flights out for summer 2015 until later in the year and who knows if their flights will be the right times and prices etc, and sometimes we have lost the villa we wanted waiting for flights so like to book when we get back from our present years holidays. Easyjet which we used to use are only out for May and are a lot more expensive so the summer ones will be extortionate. There are health issues to contend with which make some family tired on very late flights etc. Jet 2 are OK in general and I know any carrier can cancel flights but they always want to be making more money from people and never want to be fair when the problem is their doing and if it is the customers doing they sting you any way they can, it is just so frustrating. ahhhhh

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
7. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

Bottom line, when you took the refund you ended the contract you had with them. If you wanted to be rebooked you should have contacted them.

Loughborough...
reviews: 26
8. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

" For example this year we had the same things in our bags as always the scales at the airport for jet2 were not working properly"

But the scales belong to the airport, not Jet2, and are inspected by the local Trading Standards department. Have you complained to either of these and what did they say?

Bear in mind that the check in staff are not actually employed by Jet2 (any more than easyJet, Ryanair, Thomson etc. employ check in staff at UK regional airports), they work for one of the local ground handling contractors, and will handle flights for different airlines. Will they bother to let the Head Offices of all the airlines using the airport know the scales are dodgy - I doubt it.

Wigan, United...
9. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

It offered a change of flight option on the site but said charges would apply, so not knowing what charges they would be we thought it best to re book on their site as we had the site up and the last time we called we couldn't get through for hours so had to try again the following day, but we were frightened that the flight may get booked up or that they would increase the prices which they did the first time we booked our original flights. The site wouldn't let us put a reason for going IE holiday so we had to go back and refill in some details to get back to the reason choice and then it flashed up the prices have gone up do you agree to pay the extra. I think that was because their sites put up the price if they think lots of people are trying to book the flight, and due to the site glitching it had thought that another group was booking and so increased the prices for us. We thought it best to try and get booked ASAP before they went up any more for the new flights.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
10. Re: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price

Hi

The earlier you book the more chance of the schedule changing. So much better to wait a while before you book.

Whilst I've only flown Jet2 twice and with no major changes to our flights I have flown with lots of others who have made schedule changes and have never paid extra to change to something other than the flights on offer. Also experience has shown me that getting through to a busy company on the phone is best the minute their call centre opens.

You chose the refund, hang into it till maybe three or four months before your flights and book then. More chance that you will go at the time you planned.

Jackie

Edited: 6:39 pm, September 04, 2014
Reply to: JET 2 Cancel flights then make you pay the higher price
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted